1/32 Hasegawa/Dragon Mustang

Ironwing

Geoff,

I can't really add anything that the others haven't already said, but I ditto it all--a true work of art and passion for detail. I have really enjoyed watching you build and your input and questions at the P-51 SIG--it has served to bring out a lot of good information. You have really done some good for Mustang lovers AND modellers with your excellent model and skills. If I may make a suggestion, you should seriously consider (if you haven't already) submitting photos and an article to modelling magazines--get the recognition you deserve.

Jim

Hi Geoff,

In post #857 I see you've added a piece to the forward half of the canopy rail. I'm referring to the part that runs horizontal and stands above the top of the inner wall and is perforated along it's length. Eduard supplies something similar in their "interrior" kit, but if it's used, the canopy cannot be closed past it. Now you've given me an inspiration to attempt to modify it so that it can be installed, as I think it adds realism to the model. The P51 canopy/canopy rail is a wholely mechanical structure and it'd be nice to make it look more like that on the model.

Fred

I may be wrong but I think that the rail that you are talking about in the eduard kit is supposed to be mounted at an angle on the top of the sidewall. If you put it on parrallel it would "pinch" the canopy when moved. Ironwing?

JR

Greetings All,

Butler, Jim, Steve,

Your comments are overly generous but I thank you just the same. Good to know you guys appreciate the work.

Fred,

The piece you speak of is from the Eduard fret. It is laminated to another right angle piece for strength. Its pretty flimsy as it comes. JR is correct in that the part should sit at an angle if you want to be absolutely accurate. You have my number, feel free to give a hollar if you have questions. I think I might be home for the next couple days with this snow storm thats inbound.

Hope eveyone is well and thanks again...

Best,

Geoff

Hi Guys,

Not much progress but progress never the less. Been working on the exhaust stacks and gun tubes...pics to follow.

Lots of hand drilling of aluminum tube to make the exhaust stacks. I used a hemispherical dental burr to drill in about .060". Its realistic looking enough and gives the stack a nice thin wall thickness. Kinda like a Mosskit exhaust without the Mosskit. Sure would have made life easier.

post-1406-1236390678.jpg

As you can see, they arent quite lined up properly. Its alot harder(at least for me) than it looks. Not having adhesive in there to hold them in place doesnt help either. The thin wall thickness, after drilling the tube, I think, gives a much better scale effect.

post-1406-1236391013.jpg

The inner most gun tube got the same drilling as the exhaust stacks. The extended leading edge swallows up the gun barrel of the inner most gun. The only thing protruding in this instance, is the blast tube. No barrel is visible on the inner most gun.

post-1406-1236391210.jpg

Note the inner most tube...again, no barrel should be visible. Its in the wing.

Like I said, not much progress other than finishing up the canopy has been accomplished. Now I have to wait for my fingers to heal after all the drilling :D The gun barrels still need to added then the tubes need finishing...i wonder how to do that? any suggestions anyone?

Hope everyone is well...

Best,

Geoff

post-1406-1236391403.jpg

Hi Geoff,

Really nice work on the exhausts, they look much better than any kit items (I know exactly what you mean about sore fingers after drilling :) ;) ). As for your gun barrel connundrum, I shall have to study pictures of the actual thing, then I may have some ideas for you. Looking brilliant so far Geoff, well done.

Derek

Geoff,

I feel for ya on those individual exaust stacks. Similar to what i did on that Trumpy kit, only your's turned out to actually look like exaust tubes. Mine ended up crooked despite the effort to keep them lined up--I think the glue actually moved them while it was drying. Cross your fingers!

They do look very much like the Mosket ones-good job! The guns you fabbed are "spot on"!

Fred