Revell Zero Rebuild

LSP_Kevin

Kev,

Back on the horse already ;) :P ;) still on holyday then?

She looks good mate!!

Ted

Thanks Ted. No, holidays are over, but I'm still trying to get a bit done each night. This is definitely the most extensive and complicated thing I've ever attempted, so it's slow going unfortunately. It's the greatest learning exercise I could imagine though! I just hope I make it through to the end...

Kev

• 1 month later...

I thought I better get back to this build and accomplish something with it before I plunge headlong into my entry in the Luftwaffe Group Build. To that end, I began looking at the seat again. Some of you may remember that I scratch-built a replacement seat that was OK, but was advised to have another go. :lol: Anyway, now that I have possession of the Tamiya example, I compared my effort with the one in this kit and was pleasantly surprised. My version lacks the subtle blending of the back into the sides, but otherwise isn't bad by comparison.

Where it does fall down badly though is in overall size - my seat is at least 50% larger than the one in the Tamiya kit. I based mine on drawings and photos, and thought I got pretty close dimensionally, so I'm wondering if perhaps the Tamiya seat is undersized? Anybody care to comment? I can post comparative photos later if anybody's interested.

Kev

• 1 month later...

This will be my last post in this build for a while, as I'm beginning to realise that some of what I hope to achieve with it is simply beyond me at the moment. I've been growing increasingly frustrated with my inability to overcome certain obstacles, so I'm going to put it away for a while and concentrate on more straightforward projects. A case in point is the undercarriage legs, which I've been attempting to scratch-build using brass tube and various bits:

post-3071-1206320930.jpg

I'm happy enough with the progress so far, but I have absolutely no idea how to fashion the oleo scissors. The Zero's links are a little different to most, in that they actually face outboard, into the landing gear cover. So my first problem has been getting a good look at them in reference photos. I decided to defer to the Tamiya kit to see what they looked like, but there's no way I could replicate the complex shape of the Tamiya parts (sans cloning in resin that is). After being amazed and inspired by what Ironwing achieved with his Mustang landing gear, I find myself a bit deflated.

Feel free to post any advice if you have some, as I do intend to return to this build. Someday.

Kev

Hi Kev!

Don't sweat it... we've all been there.

You've done absolutely sterling work so far, so if its becoming frustrating, then certainly put it aside (but not out of sight!) and go on to something else.

That's my usual solution in cases like that - if the kit/project is still in sight, then I haven't "abandoned" it, and can return to it at any time - when inspiration strikes, or someone on the forum has suggested a solution, etc. If I move a project somewhere so its out of sight - unlikely (but not impossible) to ever be finished!

Psychologically naive I know, but that's me!

Adrian

• 7 months later...

Well, after a 7-month break, I've finally returned to this dear old Zero! The main inspiration for picking up the cudgels again was the fact that I've chosen to build the big Tamiya Zero for the Box Stock Derby GB, and figured I may as well build them in tandem. Or attempt to anyway. I'm hoping to use the Tamiya kit's exquisite detail parts as inspiration for fashioning some for this build. To that end, I've made yet another attempt to scratch build a seat, this time using the techniques Loic outlined in his fabulous Kate scratch build to copy the Tamiya seat:

post-3071-1224912961.jpg

It's a terrible photo, I know, but hopefully you can make it out usefully. I managed to kink the port side piece, and I somehow made the seat pan too small, but it's definitely my best effort so far. Here's line-up of my attempts to this point:

post-3071-1224912971.jpg

Second from the right is the Tamiya seat. As you can see, my first two attempts were way overscale. :ph34r: My latest effort is not perfect by any means, but it has passed my crucial 'it will do' test. At least it's the right size!

Kev

Hi Kev,

thanks for the free advertisement <_< :rolleyes:

Seriously, this seat does look very good don't you think?

My 2 cents: there are several options now to very slightly improve this already very good base.

- some holes on the back seam to be not that round has it sometime happens when drilling thin alu. I usually "correct" this with a thin round file.

- the upper sides of the Zeke seat are unusal in that they have a round shape rather than the most typical parallel shape of the US seat ie. You can still and always cut some more alu from your seat by using either cisors or even better a Dremell tool and a sanding disk. Then, you can eventually slightly (and carefully) work out the bendings to adjust it to your taste.

These are just marginal points Kev and I think it really looks great as it stands.

Well done mate!

Loic

Thanks for the feedback guys. While I acknowledge that there are flaws in my latest attempt at a seat, I'm happy enough at this stage to move on (I promise to do better next time Loic!). In the meantime, I've been spending my meagre modelling time working on developing some sort of cockpit detail. I've been using the cockpit from the Tamiya kit as inspiration. Apologies for the poor photograph:

post-3071-1225278631.jpg

Obviously it's not in the same league as the Tamiya cockpit, but I'm really just trying to develop my scratch building muscles, and I'm pretty happy with the results. In the blurry background you can just make out the Tamiya Zero waiting its turn.

Thanks for looking in!

Kev

WOW Kevin! :blink: I wasn't around yet, when you first started on this.....so I just had to go back to the beginning of this thread and see what you've been cooking. Whooooaaa, didn't know you started with an already painted/assembled model! :P How cool is that?! heh heh. Really impressed with that 'wing action' you had going on. Those scratched ailerons/flaps/wheel-wells came out great. Looking seriously good on the cockpit now too. You're having too darn much fun here! Can't wait to see what little tricks you'll come up with next. More pics, more pics! :rolleyes: Russ

Hi Kev,

you are doing just right. I have started the exact same "game" on a Doyusha kit about a year ago (not yet completed) so I know exactly what you are going through. I can say your Zero is looking good.

As this build is ment to practice and improve your SB skills, I may suggest you rework the pit floor to give it its bent (top of the wing) profile. This is way into your capabilities to say the less and it does had a nice touch of realizm to my eyes.

Keep it up mate!

Cheers,

Loic

Thanks for the kind words guys. Still tinkering away with the cockpit, but I think I'm just about done.

post-3071-1225524709.jpg

post-3071-1225524726.jpg

I'm really just going for an impression of detail and busyness here. I'm hoping that once it's all painted up and closed up, it'll do the job. It has been good practice for this type of detailing anyway.

Next stop, paint shop!

Kev

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been focusing more on the Tamiya kit the last week or so, but I did manage to give the cockpit on this one a wash and a dry brush, and I think it's looking better for it.

post-3071-1226119148.jpg

post-3071-1226119164.jpg

On both Zero cockpits I experimented with using yellow instead of white for the dry brush highlight colour (over the green only). My conclusion is that it's a nice effect if you go really easy, but too subtle. Once you start to up the ante a bit, the highlights become noticeably yellow, and completely loose their effectiveness as highlights. Next time I might try mixing some yellow with the original cockpit green and see if that's any better.

And yes, I know the cockpit should be a lot more detailed than this, but hey, it's my first ever scratch built cockpit, so in that alone I'm happy!

Next up is to get some belts done for the seat, mount it and then the fuselage halves together. I'm going to attempt to shove the IP in after that.

Thanks for looking!

Kev