PCM 1/32 Re. 2005..... tale of an elegant fighter

alaninaustria

Guest canuck63

Alan,

your Re2005 is,simply put,GORGEOUS :blink: :wub: :wub: :wub: !The use of the beading tool is MUCH more rewarding than the various "Ravioli wheels" used by many modelers,albeit slower and more tedious!As far as polishing goes have you ever tried the polishing clothes by Micromesh?You can have an even smoother finish,and in the process you can reach ANY nook and cranny,with a Dremel laminated cotton(NOT THE FELT ONE,mind you!) polishing weel (#423) used at low RPM in your motor tool..don't press too much and you'll soon have a model which sports a beautiful,glass-like sheen....it works wonders to smooth out airbrushed primers like Alclad's as well!Modelers' ingenuity often helps them and save $£€ only by shopping around...i.e. sanding sticks,polishing compounds or beading tools(or grainers!) can be obtained for a fraction of the price when they're not labeled as the modeling equivalent of "The greatest invention after sliced bread!" ;) !

I love the care you put into your model and I can't wait to see it finished!

Cheers

Manu

Hi Alan;

This is coming along famously! Between you and Derek with the sticks, there is some excellent tutorials on uses for them at the moment. Briallant stuff, thanks for that!

I agree with you about the rivetting tool as well, it does make the difference 1000% over the "square rivet producing" of some of the pounce wheels out there. much more convincing.

I now have one of these on the way, as this has proven to be a very inspiring article for me. I love the elegant lines of these Italian fighters, and the other one I would like to see is the G.55 now.

Cheers mate,

Jay

What Jay said Alan!

Brilliant stuff, and a great tutorial.

And so clean!

Inspiring.

Cheers

Ian

Hej Guys! Chris, Jay, Manu, and Ian .. thanks for the nice words! I am trying to apply everything that LSP has taught me :wub: Glad you guys like the model and that some of you will be buying one to build... it definitely will make for great conversation in the collection once built! :wub:

Unfortunately, I have decided to go with ROSIE the ravioli wheel for the majority of the rivets... they will be subtle and hardly present.. after a coating of paint... but will be more visible when I weather the airframe with chipping... much like I did with my Spitfire... :blink: I have used the MDC rivet maker to enhance the larger fasteners... Today I received my book order from PCM... and spent a bit of time going through the references for the Re. 2005... I then spent some time on the landing gear, adding namely the mechanical uplock on the lower oleo, and a flange that fastens to the lower gear door... I also added some very small hinges to the other doors (both outer doors)... that will make assembly easier when painted! Check it out... doesn't look like much.. but those mechanical uplocks took awhile.... it is amazing what you can do with the Waldron punches!

post-10-1187550803.jpg

Very, VERY impressive work, Alan. Even when the pics are viewed at full size, not so much as a trace of a smudge of plastic cement anywhere. What's your secret?

I was wondering the same thing. My work never looks like that!

Charles Metz

Thanks for the nice compliments guys!

I haven't had so much time for modelling these last few days...... starting to get ready to head back to work... my sickness has been very hard on me, but I am doing alot better than I was a week ago... thank goodness for that! Without good health... ya' got noth'in! ;)

Anyhow, I glued my elevators on to the empenage today and mated the props to the back plate.... a little leson in highschool geometry for some I guess! ;) :lol: ;) :o

I decided to make a few new plastic 'tools' to get the right angles...... noth'in I hate more than prop blades that are off center! ;)

post-10-1188076126.jpg

post-10-1188076148.jpg

Ingenious work with the templates and jigs Alan. I'm sure you must be an engineer in your day job. Such smooth, clean work - I spend so long fixing basic mistakes that I feel like I build each kit twice!

Kev