PCM 1/32 Re. 2005..... tale of an elegant fighter

alaninaustria

In preparation for closing up the fuselage - I blocked off the exhaust openings... this will allow me later to easily install the exhausts once the bird is painted........................ I hope! :rolleyes:

In an effort to avoid any mistakes.... I will close the fuselage up tomorrow. That way I will have enough time to think about everything - to help minimize any chances of anything being left out! :lol: (Which I have been known to do before!!)

post-10-1187217294.jpg

Italian fighters where not really what I consider very interesting subject but you my freind have proven me wrong. l have in my 1/32 collection the 21 century kit of the C202 and was seriourly considering buying the PCM C 200 radial. But seeing the work you done here has sparked an interest in this kit as well. So far my freind well done

post-542-1187219998.gif

hacker :rolleyes: :lol:

Alan ,great looking build so far sir.Very nice detail.New golf clubs have thrown a whole new dimension of "modeller's block" at me but it's impossible to play in the rain.I'll get mine going soon enough but until then I'll just admire this work of art.Well done mate...cheers

Alan ,great looking build so far sir.Very nice detail.New golf clubs have thrown a whole new dimension of "modeller's block" at me but it's impossible to play in the rain.I'll get mine going soon enough but until then I'll just admire this work of art.Well done mate...cheers

"l gave up sex for golf. There maybe more and heavier equipment for it but atleast l get to score more often "

Hacker :huh: :)

Hi guys, thanks for the nice words! I really can recommend this kit to anybody looking for a fun and exotic build! :(

Today I stuffed the entire cockpit into the kit... and welded the fuselage together! It went together rather easily, and this build is finally starting to look the part! ;)

I dressed the seams up with some Mr.Sfc'r 500, let it dry and then using a Q-tip and Isopropanol alcohol I polished the excess away. Then I used Jay's Mastercaster sanding/polishing sticks to finish up the job! Those polishing sticks just can't be beat, hands down they get the job done better than anythig else I have ever used!! Check it out........for painting.... you can't beat that mirror like finish! B)

post-10-1187296455.jpg

post-10-1187296549.jpg

In the last photo you can see that I have test fitted the cannon troughs... eventhough photographic evidence shows that the troughs are more sharply shaped, I have decided to leave them as is.... ;) There is one cowl bulge on the top of the forward cowling, and due to my own negligence it required to be removed. :angry: I will be making a new one later to replace it!

Next up will be a quick going over of the panel lines to make sure that they are all complete (one or two of them are incomplete - probably from the molding process). That is no big deal, just a quick passing of the scriber will look after that! :(

I will then glue on the elevators (L&R), place the gun troughs in place and glue in, prepare the canopy for FUTURE coating, sand the spinner down a fraction and polish it up, and start riveting the airframe with ROSIE!

I have said it before, and I will say it again: this is one of the most enjoyabe builds I have ever done in a long time! B)

She's starting to come together, slowly but surely!

Cheers

Alan ;)

post-10-1187296870.jpg

post-10-1187296881.jpg

Fantastic build thus far Alan. I've learned quite a bit while watching your build progess, such as using styrene "pins" to secure various parts. I'm sure hoping that the forthcoming Spit Mk IX kit is as well engineered as this one.

Cheers,

Shawn

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the thread Shawn, thank you! I too can't wait for the new MK IX Spit to arrive! :(

I didn't have much time today, but I did manage to complete a few small 'jobs'..... the small cowl bulge that was removed at the top of the fuselage is going to be replaced by a new one that I carved out of laminated scrap styrene and sanded down to shape ( I might still sand it down a tad more- it does look to be rather too big)... then a small sheet of light sand paper (400 grit) was placed exactly where the new bulge will be located and then with a wetted finger... lightly rubbed over the area. Thís has the effect of adding the perfect ammount of curvature to the inside of the bulge. When it is later pinned and glued down there will hardly be any seam to fill (hopefully! B) )...

post-10-1187390563.jpg

post-10-1187390571.jpg

post-10-1187390577.jpg

I then moved back over to the air scoop... after going over several reference pictures...I realised that there is a very small stabilizer located between the scoop and the cowling side. I created this part by shaping a small piece of srap styrene (adding an airfoil shape to it)... it was then latter trimmed so that when the air scoop is placed in the proper location - that it lightly touches the fuselage side....

That is all for today... health is getting better and prety soon I will be back to work, so I won't have much time on my hands anymore... :(

Thanks

Cheers

Alan B)

post-10-1187390820.jpg

post-10-1187390850.jpg

Hej guys! Had a few minutes today to tackle a few small jobs again! Glued in the gun troughs and filled the seams with Mr. Sfc'r 500 and sanded/polished them down :lol:

The fit of this part was just great! She keyed in there rather nicely! I was also lucky enough that after going over the troughs with the "Big Purple Stick" that they became alot more angular and defined as in the reference photos (available earlier on in this thread)... and that made me happy! :unsure:

One of the nice things about using Mr. Sfc'r is that it too polishes up with a mirror finish just like the styrene!

post-10-1187477827.jpg

post-10-1187477849.jpg

post-10-1187477868.jpg

And as you can see, I added the two side cowling bulges that I 'pinned' earlier, as well as the scratch made bulge (also was pinned)..I also still might shape this one a bit more to match suite to the other bulges.... a light swipe of the glue applicator - and fixed for eternity!

And, finally a picture of the riveting tool and the polishing sticks that allow for such a beautiful mirror finish. By polishing up the surface you will find it easier to identify any gaps in the seams or scratches on the surface.

Slowly but surely getting there! :unsure:

Cheers

Alan :lol:

post-10-1187478422.jpg

post-10-1187478445.jpg

post-10-1187478454.jpg

Hi Alan,

first i thought that this was some kind of a kit review. Now i come back and this Topic has already 10 pages and most of the fuselage is already done...

GREAT work my friend!! I like it alot and it makes me want to start my C.205 as well... :unsure: Very nice work so far. BTW, how many kits do you have on the go? Hope to see some of them done in November at the Lake of Constance!

Cheers mate,

Chris

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Alan;

This is coming along famously! Between you and Derek with the sticks, there is some excellent tutorials on uses for them at the moment. Briallant stuff, thanks for that!

I agree with you about the rivetting tool as well, it does make the difference 1000% over the "square rivet producing" of some of the pounce wheels out there. much more convincing.

I now have one of these on the way, as this has proven to be a very inspiring article for me. I love the elegant lines of these Italian fighters, and the other one I would like to see is the G.55 now.

Cheers mate,

Jay