Trump 24th scale hurricane

Scotsman

Have alook Here for the instuctions/Sprue shots of the Hurricane Mk1 in 24th from trumpter - no comments from me re accuracy - other than to say , based on the assembly guide - it dosen't look to be That much of a step up from the airfix kit as regards overal levels of detailing , (and the same markings as Airfix..? :D )

Oh and to my unskilled eyes - the colours of the markings look a touch bright - even photographed under a layer paper ...

Some interesting oddities there though. We appear to have the wing fuel and oil tanks, but no access hatches, so you can open more up yourself, and the rad has the circular cooler centre section hidden behind blank end plates.

I like the addition of the flat side panels near the top of the doghouse in PE. Had to scratch mine.

All in all, looks like a nice kit to start playing around with.

bottom line which would you buy?? l want a large scale hurricane and was gong to buy the Airfix but since l found out its actually 1/20th and now l see what the Trumpeter kit has to offer l am not sure now which. My decision may boil down to on what you guys say, accuracy and price. l will be following this thread with interest

hacker :D B)

bottom line which would you buy?? l want a large scale hurricane and was gong to buy the Airfix but since l found out its actually 1/20th and now l see what the Trumpeter kit has to offer l am not sure now which. My decision may boil down to on what you guys say, accuracy and price. l will be following this thread with interest

hacker :ph34r: B)

Airfix's large Hurricane scales out almost perfectly to 1/24th. The Hurricane had a wingspan of 40 feet, which is twenty inches. I just measured the span of my copy of the Airfix kit, because just had to see for myself if the kit is overscale, and it measures .... 20 inches. The difference between 1/20th and 1/24th scale on an aircraft like the Hurricane amounts to 4 inches (actual inches, not scale inches, in wingspan) on the model. Other than, perhaps, the 1/24 Stuka, the Airfix large scale Hurricane is the best of the Airfix 1/24th scale kits. It is, most assuredly, not 1/20th scale.

In addition, from looking at the assembly instructions and parts breakdown of the Trumpeter kit, the Airfix kit is not substantively less detailed than the Trumpeter kit.

The Trumpeter kit looks very nice from what i can see so far and a MK11C when built up should look pretty

cool. Pitty about the Decals Trumpeter needs to get this sorted out, god knows why they printed the code

letters White when we all know they should be Medium sea grey and as for the Red in the national markings

anyone putting these on is going to need sun glasses . As for the Airfix kit i built mine a couple of years ago

and its still one of there best 24th scale kits except the bloody awfull spinner. Just my 10p worth. :ph34r:

Yup, I'd agree with Keith. The airfix hurri is still a little gem. The detailling doesn't look that much better on trumps and like Tim I am holding out for the MkII.

The merlin on the hurri from airfix is so nice I'm keeping the one from my early blue mould airfix hurri to drop into my defiant (with mods here and there), and I notice from the sprue shots that trump are still having issues with theirs.

That said, I suspect that with the advances in moulding techniques and kit that the trump hurri will almost certainly be 'cleaner', so pound for pound I'd be tempted to buy one anyway sometime in the future.

Hoping against hope that trumps MkII comes fully loaded.

I am a bit Hurricaned out after the last build. Its a bit poor of Trumpy to fewk up the decals once again. The options are the same as Airfix almost! I do wonder if they make a deal with the AM guys... " we will build the kit but put crap decal options in so you can clean up...."

I will do a Trop at some stage.

Now I thought I saw the fillipino guys do a side by side Airfix/ Trump comparison and the Airfix Hurri looks bigger? In any case, the Airfix version is a beaut IF you get the old blue placky versions. My recent build was a gem, fabric effect to die for.

The good news is the AM stuff can be used on either and the datafile will be reprinted. I have a lovely silver Rhodesian mark 1 trop with a Rotol pointy spinner in mind!

It's a little disconcerting to find that you consider the markings, for Ian Gleed, and Bob Stanford Tuck, two of the best pilots, that we had, to be "crap." LK-A, with Gleed, destroyed, at least, 10 a/c., and you do have the option (although it isn't shown, in the kit instructions,) of painting it all-black, as a nightfighter.

Although the markings appear somewhat bright, it should be remembered that, in 1940, Matt Red was, considerably, brighter than the Dull Red, of 1942 onwards. I'm not convinced, by the photos, that the code letters are white; looking at the nearby roundels, they could be (albeit too light) light grey.

Edgar

Semantics. For "crap" read too obvious choice, copying the Revell and Airfix releases AND printing them in the wrong colour inks :(

Then only the fat spinner option again. Think of all the other options rendered buildable with a choice of props! Both Trump and Airfix did that goof.

To use AL-K again invites a comparison with the Airfix kit.

All this said however, the Airfix and Techmod decals seem to be unusable. At least we have Montex to bail us out!