1/24 VFS P-47 Thunderbolt

ChrisS

Looks great Chris!

Do you anticipate any fit/filler problems when fitting the main components together? I've never painted an aircraft model in sub assembly form... or is it just because or the size of this beats?

Dave/Ironman1945

Oh Yeah...I like!

Hey Chris, which prop comes with the kit? You know I've seen, at Air Shows, "Tar-Heel Hal", big P-47D from the Planes Of Fame Flight Museum, in Galveston Texas, and it has the big prop blades. I think it's the Hamilton Standard 4 bladed monster, really neat looking.

Dose the kit come with this prop? No matter, I'm just curious...

Great job! Can't wait to see this finished.

Lou

Steve,

This is a resin test shot from very rough molds. The panel lines and rivet detail are excelent but wildly inconsistant given the manufactering technique used for the test shot. All the 3D files show very consistent level of detail, and this is the best representation of that detail...

mask_ID.jpg

The larger panel line along the top is where two large parts meet. That seam is probably more my fault than the molds, but that issue is being looked at as well. Keep in mind that the big "trenches" in the wing underside are the aileron and flap seams. On the real aircraft you can see light through the aileron seam, and the flaps are fowler and there is plenty of space in the underside seam. Overall the surface detail is quite good. I am sure my photography doesn't convey what it should.

Ironman,

I've dry fitted the major components and used a couple of .005 shims and some sanding to get an almost flawles fit of wings to fuselage. All tail surfaces mate up perfectly. Should be a breeze.

JET-A,

The kit will come with two Curtiss props and the big Hamilton as well. From this initial release you'll be able to make D-25 through D-28.

There are 6 marking schemes planned for the initial release:

2x English = "NO 30" (GREY/GREEN CAMOUFLAGE) - KJ159. and "NV-K" - (GREEN/BROWN CAMOUFLAGE) - KJ278.

2x French = "NO 23" (METAL FINISH) - 227295. And "NO 80" (GREY/GREEN CAMOUFLAGE) - 226520.

2x Duxford based (78th FG) aircraft = "WZ-X" (METAL FINISH) 226640 and "MX-E" (GREY/GREEN CAMOUFLAGE) - 226635

After that there will a another release with Gabby's D-25, Big Ass Bird II, and a few others I cannot recall at the moment.

Guest LSP_Jay L

Chris;

This is coming along very nicely and is looking really good mate. I am looking forward to seeing this baby in the flesh. I will try not to have too many beers and fall over it! You better get it into the post in the next 5 days my man, otherwise it may not reach Englands welcoming shores in time! :unsure:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Ray from VFS emailed me yesterday on which versions he was thinking about doing - and i quote

"There are two Duxford based aircraft that we are planning to produce in our first release of this kit = VF2404, a second = VF2405 will consist of decals and markings for the following versions: Gabby Gabreski, David Schilling, Donovan Smith, and Bill Bailey's P-47 aircraft.

A D-30 will follow a few months later, this has four decal options including 'BIG ASS BIRD II', 'TARHEEL HAL' an 'AZTEC EAGLE' and FT-L = 'Glen Eaglestone's' aircraft, (which you mentioned).

A 'Razorback' P-47 will follow this option, and then we will release the 'M' and 'N' variants. However, we may release one of our two future projects in between: A MK.XIV (Griffon Engine) SPITFIRE or an F4U CORSAIR."

cool eh?

On a personal note i really dont care for the french decals when they already get a run on the revel 32nd - not when there are so many nice USAAF bird circling about!

Chris, this looks great! Can you take a pic with a 1/32 jug and /or any other built 1/24th A/C?? The next couple of releases should be cool. Another example of a start -up making some headway; if the tools aren't perfect ,at least they are making a good effort and new kits to compliment, rather than overlap the existing big stuff. A jug chasing a stuka across the ceiling would be ..... well cool.

Mike,

Yeah I'll try to slip in a couple of comparison shots when I do the photo shoot this week.

Here is the port wing almost complete. I'll leave the blast tubes off the guns on this side. There are a few more parts to the gun/ammo bays that have not been prototyped yet, so this area will have more detail in the release.

wing2.jpg

And here is a close up of some of the weathering. I'm trying to keep it pretty subtle here as this is a big model, and overstated weathering will make it look too garish IMHO. A few paint chips here and there and I'll flat coat it and call this wing "done."

wing1.jpg

Tomorrow I can pull 5-6 hours and I am hoping to get it "almost done." I'll post more tomorrow.