Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by BloorwestSiR

  1. It's so tempting but I've already got the 1/2700 Zvezda one and a bunch of AM for it. I might be convinced to change my mind once it's out though. Carl
  2. Rick, they're only about 3" in length. They usually come in much smaller boxes and are box scale. This set has five of them in it. Here's a different kit from the same series to give you an idea of the size. I do have a 1/500 kit of the main ship and that's I think 70cm in length though. Carl
  3. Maybe.... I've got the Yamato and Yukikaze already so it should fit in nicely.
  4. Cosmo fleet in a box! There's three versions of the Andromeda class and two of the carrier version. Carl
  5. I think I sighed loudly. Edward was 2 at the time so could hardly blame him. Afterwards he would ask me if I still had the one he flew. Thankfully he hasn't done that again. I had just brought it upstairs from my work bench and put it on the kitchen table to try and figure out were I could display it safely. I also wanted to do the RFI pics. This was about five minutes prior to its maiden flight. After the crash, I ended up packing up both the wreckage and the Tamiya Mossie I'd been working on at the same time. It was nearly a year before I came back to it.
  6. Glad to hear it was only a brief respite for the Lightning. Can't be worse than when my son took my just completed HK Mossie for a test flight. The landing wasn't pretty. Carl
  7. The finished city looks great Vaughan. Congrats on seeing something you made go into production! Carl
  8. Really looks great Bryan. It looks huge even without a frame of reference. Carl
  9. Looks fantastic Vaughan!
  10. Great start Mark. You're braver than I am. I've got a couple of their kits in the stash and I'm too cowed to start any of them. Carl
  11. Really nice build. I love the depth of the paint. Carl
  12. Thomas, there's definitely a floor in the back. I think Ray was commenting on the kit not having included one. Yours looks great. When I did mine, I glued on some fine grit sandpaper to replicate the nonslip surface. Carl
  13. Thanks Kev! It was this or the SoD for a while. Once I fix the eye and other touch ups, I'll get onto French Kiss. Carl
  14. Well, since I figured I had nothing to lose I cut a piece of tape to size and applied it over the batmouth and peeled it off. I then used this as my template to cut some masking tape to shape. This was then cut out with an xacto knife and applied to the model. I then sprayed white, followed by the red. With everything removed. I need a couple quick touchups but it's a much better result I feel. One of the eyes needs a slight touch up as well as part of it lifted with the mask. Carl
  15. Thanks Richard! They've both been on the bench but ran into random issues with each one. The curves on the nose would make just about any decal be a problem.
  16. Thanks guys! Sadly, the rest of the decals didn't go on anywhere as nicely. There's several small tears and folds in the mouth and they're driving me nuts. Oddly, no silvering which is my normal Achilles heel when using decals. A friend suggested a light sanding and then touching them up. My concern is that the white paint won't match the ever so slight translucency of the decals and make things look worse. If I can get a scan of the decal sheet I may try making my own mask for the mouth. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll leave it aside and go back to French Kiss which I've got different problems with. Like having mounted rockets on the wrong set of wings... Carl
  17. Hope these pics help you out Thomas. You could probably just insert the ends of the exhausts from the outside if you're not too worried. Carl
  18. Sounds about right. It was much wider than the Tamiya fuselage and more square as I recall. I had a hard time getting it to work but your builds make it look like a walk in the park.
  19. Really great progress there David. Nice to see the differences between the two. Not just in the kits but the airframes themselves. Carl
  20. They're looking really fantastic William. Is the Warbirds conversion the same as the RB one for the PCM Spitfire? I used the RB nose on a Tamiya VIII and that was quite the challenge. Carl
  21. For good or bad, the Zotz decal is basically the outline so there's very little carrier film. Good because it means there's less to silver. Bad because it folds up and breaks on you when you try to position it. Hopefully I'll get the other side on ok and then can add the mouth and eyes.
  22. While the nose dried, I decided to paint the fuselage insignias. With the rear fuselage painting all done, I unmasked the waist window and saw what I expected. Both waist guns were broken off their mounts due to all the handling. One of the ammo boxes even fell out the rear crew hatch. There's also a bunch of dust on the inside. Nothing I can do about any of it. At least the tail gunner's station fared a bit better.
  23. Time for a small update. Zotz give you a mask for doing the blue base for the bat nose art. In my set, it was cut from a somewhat stiff gold coloured vinyl. There's an outline for the canopy to help you place it correctly. Unfortunately I somehow ended up distorting the masks Nd could get it into a reasonable shape that the decal would have fit over. I decided to peel it off and try making my own from frisket. I traced the decal shape onto the frisket and then cut it out. Then it was time for the blue.
  24. I found it easier to just cut a new side panel from sheet styrene rather than sand off the details from the kit one. I then started gluing on the individual panels. Each panel is made up of a couple layers at least. Some have acetate instruments behind them. So this has really bogged things down.
  • Create New...