Dragon 1/32 P51D Early Production.

Tango1

Hello!

Here we have my lastest adventure in 1/32. The Dragon Mustang. We all now know what to expect from this kit, I must admit that I am a tad dissapointed with the fit after all the trouble they took to detail this kit. That said, I have cracked the box open and dived straight in!

First off, I have added some plastic card to hold the cockpit floor in place on both sides of the fuselage.

DSC_0478_zpsc0c56efc.jpg

Second, whislt cutting the sidewall details from the sprue, I lost my throttle control to the carpet monster! :doh: So I have whittled up my own out of wood and plastic. Don't laugh!

DSC_0479_zps09c4229d.jpg

Next, the sidewalls were painted up as best as I could, I am going to add some plates to the walls when I've made them.

DSC_0482_zpsff7d0326.jpg

DSC_0481_zps28b615fe.jpg

I have also done some painting to the cockpit tub, as I am more or less doing this build OOB, I won't add much here except for a seat harness.

DSC_0480_zpsc82e5837.jpg

It all looks a bit rough and ready at the moment, but it'll come right in the end! :thumbsup:

Hopefully, I'll get some more benchtime today and be able to share some more progress with you later. Thanks for stopping by and having a look. ;)

Guest Peterpools

Darren

Super start on the Dragon Mustang kit. and some nice detailing work in the front office. may I office a bit of advice and recommend the fuel tank be painted a rubber/brown/oily black color. I made the same mistake on BBD and Jerry navigated me onto the correct course.

Nice to see some of the other Mustangs under way and we all can appreciate the extra work they will require. Damn that Old carpet Monster, who seems to get around to all of us at the speed of light. That guy sure has one awesome appetite.

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

Thomas- Thanks!

Peter- Thanks for your kind words and advice! I repainted the fuel tank and feel that it looks a lot better. I have painted the I/P and put the seat into the tub, that's abaout it for this evening!

DSC_0492_zps8c7120db.jpg

DSC_0488_zps4587fc20.jpg

DSC_0489_zpsbc6973e8.jpg

DSC_0490_zps002d18e0.jpg

Nothing spectacular, but enjoyable to do!

Now, I need some help with the assembly here.........I was test fitting the engine and thought "OK-not perfect, but it'll work." Next, I decided to test fit the see through fuselage parts that fit around the engine and this is what I found......

DSC_0486_zpsc3cf81a0.jpg

DSC_0485_zpsbe4a9991.jpg

DSC_0483_zpsee011eee.jpg

The clear parts are longer and there does not appear to be an insert in the kit to level the nose up before the spinner is attached. Now call me daft, but I am I missing something blindingly obvious here? :hmmm:

Edited by Tango1

Thanks for your advice chaps!

As soon as an air scoop was mentioned, it all became clear. I went back to the box and instructions and sure enough you are right, there is a part there to fill the gap. I think I need to start wearing glasses...............I'm not as young as I used to be! :blush:

I just know Frank is going to give me a good ribbing for this one.................. :unsure:

Thanks!

I put the fuselage together this evening-what a job that was! I think I did something wrong earlier on in the build which resulted in the engine assembly being slightly out of line. This caused me problems getting the fueslage to close up. With some clamps and super glue, I managed in the end. I thought my cheap and cheerful cockpit looked quite nice in there!

I also assembled the tail planes and have to say that the way the kit's moving surfaces were designed was quite good!

Here how the airframe looks now:

DSC_0493_zps765473cb.jpg

DSC_0494_zps8f51504a.jpg

DSC_0495_zps5f2b8358.jpg

DSC_0496_zps6ba02135.jpg

DSC_0497_zpscb776d59.jpg

DSC_0502_zpse582b3a0.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Darren

Glad you were able to re-paint the fuel tank, as it looks the part so well.

As I was reading the cowl fit problems and saw the photos, I was stunned on how bad the fit was but was greatly relieved to see the guys figured it out. Looks might good once the air scoop under the spinner went into place.

Totally agree on how good the front office looks inside the fuselage.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Awesome!!! I do so love those early model fillet-less "D"s (though I'm sure the pilots hated them.....horiz/vert stab departing your a/c could ruin your day). I really need to find me one of these kits for the Stang Stash..

Have you got a paint scheme singled out yet Tango1?

Edited by xmh53wrench

Looks good, I especially like the way the cockpit looks in there

.....horiz/vert stab departing your a/c could ruin your day

Was that the reason ? I thought it was the loss of directional stability once the slab side B model was cut down...