Yak 1b

DougN

Here is my next WIP subject, Montex's kit of the Yak 1b:

DSCN0402.jpg

Here are the major components stuck together for a photo op:

DSCN0401.jpg

Unfortunately, I've found contrasting instructions for interior paint colors - some references say light blue, while some say interior grey. I will probably go with White Ensign's "Grey Interior Primer" rather than the light blue. Best that I can determine, the wheel wells should be the same color as the underside, but I am not sure on the color of the flap interior.

Comments/questions welcome as always!

Doug

Thanks guys!

@ Tomek - I have lots of kits to build, so no time for slacking off! ;) You know you're going to end up with the paper kit eventually, so you might as well go ahead and get it now! I won't be building mine in the markings of the kit box cover, as the few builds I could find online all seem to be in that scheme, so I'll do something a little different. I may build mine as Lidiya Litvyak's last mount if I can find the appropriate white 23 decals (or masks) for this scheme: Lidiya's last Yak 1b Profile Linky Otherwise, the kit has another option that looks pretty good.

@Paul - Not too many issues so far, although I needed to re-position the holes for the port wing mounting stubs as the wing was too far forward with them as molded. It also looks like there may be some issues with getting the nose together with the wing centerpiece properly, but we'll see.

Made decent progress today, cleaned up lots of parts and started the build.

First, I added the rivets to the bottom of the wing that are oddly missing (considering the other great detail of the kit). I first measured and drew some guidelines on the lower wing inserts, and then used Radu's Rivet-R tool to add the rivets. I'll have to redo some of them once I get the wing altogether, but figured it would be easier to at least have them there as a guide to work from:

DSCN0413.jpg

I also assembled the cockpit, and added all the little levels and knobs provided. Many of the round knobs were not really round once removed from the pour blocks and cleaned up, so I used some drops of Gator Grip glue to make them round. Then I painted everything Model Master Interior Black in preparation for the color coat coming up tomorrow:

DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

Looking at the resin canopies, the center and front are pretty clear, however the rear is a bit cloudy. Once I get them cleaned up (they are somewhat brittle so need to be very careful), I'll dip them in future and they will clear up nicely (it has worked with other resin canopies):

DSCN0416.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments/questions (and color help) more than welcome!

Doug

Great project, Doug. Just a shame that you have to pay an arm and a leg for a resin kit to do a VVS fighter other than an I-16 or the Mig-3!

I'll second those sentiments, Mike! Doug, you probably can't go wrong if you paint the interior a medium grey, as it sounds like you're going to do. Evidently the interiors on some of these mixed construction aeroplanes could be kind of complicated (like with the I-153, speaking of VVS fighters we need in 1/32nd scale).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks guys, one of the things I like about resin kits is that they can be built up pretty quickly. Did some painting today and got the interior painted up, just have to put a pin wash in a couple spots and it should be ready to put it all together. Well, that and I need to get some seat belts in there - I did find some old PE parts that should do the trick, I'll see how they look tomorrow.

Here are the main cockpit components painted:

DSCN0421.jpg

DSCN0424.jpg

And the main bits dry fit in place to see how it will look:

DSCN0418.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

I also did a little work to dress up the gunsight, which I'll finish off tomorrow.

Thanks again for looking, comments/questions/suggestions are always welcome!

Doug

Ok, finished up on the interior, dressed up the gunsight a bit with some old PE parts:

DSCN0430.jpg

I also realized that the armored glass was supposed to have a frame around it (you would think that the masks provided in the kit would give that one away):

DSCN0433.jpg

Almost forgot about the tailwheel, as it is not shown being assembled until a few steps later, but it must be put in place when the fuselage is closed up. I painted it, and used some aluminum tape for the oleo:

DSCN0431.jpg

Put a wash on some of the cockpit areas, and added the seat belts I cobbled together from some old PE bits:

DSCN0432.jpg

One last shot before it all goes together:

DSCN0427.jpg

Of course, when everything seems to fit perfect in dry fitting, the fuselage halves did not want to go together perfectly as they had so many times. But, in the end, I was able to get everything together properly and superglued in place:

DSCN0434.jpg

Will be taking a break over the weekend, and then it will be time to clean up the fuselage and start fitting the wings and tail surfaces. :)

As always, thanks for looking, comments/questions/suggestions welcome!

Doug