National Museum of the US Air Force Pictures

• 2 weeks later...

yep it's a sure fact now, we'll be visiting this "Walhalla of aviation" somewhere in autumn this year, looking forward........ :m0152:

You'll love it. Make sure you have on comfortable walking shoes though, as the place is gigantic.

You'll love it. Make sure you have on comfortable walking shoes though, as the place is gigantic.

oh yeah, i will,  because the last time i visited the museum with my son (12 years of age at that time) i already had the "distinct idea" of not having seen everything, and THAT was 20 years ago.

This picture parade by Night Hog is great, and it's very inspirational to plan a visit by yourself.

I've been an aviation enthousiast all my life, and having read lots and lots of books and publications when i was a teenager and lateron in life as well, it was awesome to just be able to see and sometimes touch that particular piece of aviation history you read about, awesome..........!!!

Anyhow, we'll be revisiting this year, can't wait to go!!!

Jack.

Oh man, this is going to be great, and thanks for the hint on the weekday, that might be a sensible decission, but our itinerary not only includes this museum but also the navy one in Pensacola, so either one of the two will be at a weekend, but that's no problem.

Keep on showing us these "airforce" pictures, they're great.. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

NMUSAF Presidential Collection:

C-20%20HDR-X2.jpg

USAF C-20 (Gulfstream G-IV)

New Hangar opening still set for June 8th. We expect huge crowds this summer due to the new hangar and the fact the the Presidential and Experimental aircraft have not been on display for almost a year.

It was the contributions of many of the Air Force Museum foundation that made the new hangar possible. US tax dollars were not used.Also note that admission and parking are FREE!

Are they sticking with the lighting that you see in your pictures or going with the lighting that is in the COLD War Hangar?

I believe (hope) that the lighting will be much better in the new hangar. Their move to "theatrical" lighting culminated in the Cold War Hangar which is IMHO a black hole. I have been photographing in the museum for the past 30 years and admit that it is a technical challenge. My B-58 Photo shows the theatrical lighting at its best while the F-101B is among the worst. A former Director, when questioned about the lighting by a visitor, replied that thay should "get a better camera" which I considered to be a gratuitous reply. I always shoot from a tripod using Apperture priority (f-16-22) with an ISO of 64-125 and let the camera figure out the exposure. In the cold war hangar shutter times of 30"+ are not unusual. My settings are such because I am looking for a very deep depth of field. Exposure times in the new hangar are much better and i think it is because of the lighting being all LED. I expect that replacement of the lighting in the rest of the museum will occur as the older bulbs are replaced with LED but that is a long and costly process. Hopefully you will be able to get decent pix in the new hangar with a moderately good point-and-shoot digital. 

Edited by Night Hog