Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger New Pics 6/9/15

LSP_Paul

Right, assuming I ever get to the end of the project, though I'm determined to do so.

You're making great progress on your flak gun, keep it up you'll get it done Kev.

Paul 

Ray, thanks for checking in on my Big Cat. I am hoping I have time to get it done, you know how much work weathering armor can be, but so far it's falling into place. I'll keep working on it and see if I can get it ready in time. Still have the big Panther and Sea Fury to get done.

All the best,

Paul 

Wow, that looks terrific Paul!   Im not much of an AFV guy at all, but the king of Tigers has always been my favorite tank by far.................and the camo is really cool looking.   I have the 1/35th DML kit with the metal barrel I won at a Christmas IPMS raffle a few years ago and do plan on building it someday.      I know nothing of the kit, but suspect its not quite up to the Tamiya kit, but will do for me.

Great looking model!

Killer gun barrel.  Love that scheme.  Why hard-edge?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

I was wondering the same thing. I have gobs and gobs of Tiger family references, and I always thought the ambush scheme was sprayed on, not using any masks.

Some late-war KT's had the hard-edge camo factory applied. Panthers, too.

So it can be either. OK. Good to know. Not sure if I'll do the ambush scheme or not on mine, but I'd reference it first anyway. It most definitely will have zimmerit.

I'm thoroughly agitated. While searching through some AM, I discovered a complete zimmerit set for the Tamiya Panther G. I checked my G, and I've already glued on all the deck and hull fittings! Why I continue to do these silly things, is anyones guess.

K2, the Panther G doesn't necessarily need Zim, depending on which vehicle you are depicting. Unless, of course, you want that look.

I know, it's just that I wish I'd used it, as its a real nice set. I'll do one with, and one without, same for my Jagdpanthers.

Killer gun barrel.  Love that scheme.  Why hard-edge?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

At the end of 1944 the armor manufacturers Krupp and Skoda were to cover all components with RAL 6003 ( olive green )  prior to delivering them to Henschel or Wegmann for assembly. Then on 20 December 1944 Henschel was ordered to do the same. The camouflage pattern with sharp contours was to be  RAL 8017 dark brown and RAL 7028 dark yellow over the dark green base coat with spots of dark yellow over the two darker colors and spots of the darker colors used on the lighter areas of the tank. 

Also of note on my model, From Oct 44 the mounting brackets for the jack were eliminated on the lower rear hull ( 20 ton jack was of little use on a 70 ton tank) and in Sept 44  the armor manufacturers were to weld an inverted "u" shaped metal guard over the top of the opening for the  gunners sight. This was to help keep rain from obscuring the optic's lens as well as change the angle that glare would effect it when looking towards the sun. 

Due to the backlog of orders for King Tigers, some of these modifications didn't appear until January 45 on a regular basis, and could also have appeared on tanks finding their way back to units after they had been rebuilt at the factory.

As far as why the Germans decided to use the hard edge camo? I'm sure somebody at some point thought it was a good idea and would make a difference in actual operational use, much like a lot of the silly things they thought would make a huge difference at the end of the war on aircraft camo.  The fact is that like most armored vehicles, once they have been in the field for more then a week or two in muddy/dirty conditions, the whole paint pattern thing becomes less relevant as the natural environment tends to "paint" the vehicle to better blend into its surroundings. The very last King Tigers to leave Henchel were in fact mostly very dark olive green with some patches of sand color and dark green "smoke rings" inside the sand areas, or just solid dark green.  

Thanks for checking in on my build, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Paul

Wow, that looks terrific Paul!   Im not much of an AFV guy at all, but the king of Tigers has always been my favorite tank by far.................and the camo is really cool looking.   I have the 1/35th DML kit with the metal barrel I won at a Christmas IPMS raffle a few years ago and do plan on building it someday.      I know nothing of the kit, but suspect its not quite up to the Tamiya kit, but will do for me.

Great looking model!

Brian, the Dragon/DML kits are  IMHO just as good if not better in some respects as the Tamiya Kits. I just happened to have the Tamiya kit /package deal in storage. Ernie and I both also have DML/Dragon KT's in the stash and they are quite nice. They still need AM details but build up very well.

Thanks for the kind words about my build, more soon hopefully.

Paul