7 replies to this topic

#1 elmarriachi

elmarriachi

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hello,

I want to make a civil version of the Caterpillar D9 dozer, looking like this one .... 

kvwhjvdp.jpg
Picture from Wikipedia 

... based the 1/35 kit of Meng Models: 

i5zf3dr2.jpg

I have started with the preparation of the parts of the civil D9 cab.

Added some putty on it for the first time ... sanding .... now the same procedure again and again until it is a totally smooth surface ....

9wze27na.jpg

ycaybuoq.jpg

dwuhgk6f.jpg

ivbxrsp2.jpg

elxgq52l.jpg

jlstjtt5.jpg

oy2h8swa.jpg

3feyycp7.jpg

ts49dej9.jpg

• harvey, BiggTim, Zero77 and 3 others like this
regards,
Michael

#2 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

I take it the surface as molded was not smooth? Very cool idea, btw.

Tim
  • harvey likes this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), 1/32 Trumpy Me-109E-4, and some others.....

On deck: Can't choose between 190D-13 "Yellow 10", Hase P-47D, or Tamiya Corsair....

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#3 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

Tim, no the surface is a but rough due to the 3D printing process that Dunstan uses, it isn't really that bad,  just a little bit, a small amount of filler works well  I used Taniya Basic putty on mine and it just needs to fill in the little tiny ridges to make it a smooth surface, this is a VERY cool conversion.....

• BiggTim likes this

#4 Daniel460

Daniel460

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:25 AM

Watching this! Have a couple in the stash. Who makes this conversion? :)

Dan

• BiggTim likes this

#5 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

I love that monster. I've both the US and the Israel military D9 kits and love how they look with the armor, but i will follow with interest your conversion !

• BiggTim likes this

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

it is a 3D printed conversion by Firecat Designs     www.firecatdesigns.com    the guy you will talk to is Dunstan, a real good guy, and he gets the parts printed and off to you in good time.. he is honest and fair... tell him this is where you heard about him, he will find it interesting..

Jeff

• Uncarina, BiggTim and Zero77 like this

#7 elmarriachi

elmarriachi

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:12 AM

The parts are 3D-printed and great quality (Very thin material at the cab!! so take care not to damage it! :) 

You have to use some filler, primer and time for sanding to get a smooth surface with the parts - but this is nothing special with 3D-printed things .... But after doing this for several times then you get a very smooth surface - and it looks amazing! Whoever is asking - I will  recommend these parts 1000% :) 

Cheers

Michael

• Jeff likes this
regards,
Michael

#8 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

I AGREE Michael, I would recommend this conversion 1000% as well.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users