Fw190D-9 - Hasegawa 1/32

BlackDog

Well... I was thinking about finishing the main assembly work this week-end (wings, fuselage, tail), but while visiting my favorite hobby shop, I found the new Aires Detail Set detailing the wing root bay enclosing the wing armament... and I bought one :-)

I am opening the left wing bay only. So the plane left side will be partially opened : wing gun bay, fuselage MW 50 bay, fuel feed opening, and the right side will be left 'clean' : all closed.

Many small chirurgical work needed to fit the Aires kit :

- removing a part of the internal reinforcing strut attached to undercarriage bay,

- removing the fuselage part of the gun bay,

- removing of the wing part of the gun bay. Here I did make a big mistake : I did cut a nicely shaped opening with same shape as closing panel for the gun bay... I did realize (after) that the bay opening should be a perfect rectangle, the more complex shape of the trap door is the embossing for the gun body and this part should overlap the panels outside the bay... After maybe 10 minutes of deep despair, I did rebuild the trap opening true shape by adding some styrene rod and card. Those parts were then glued, seams filled with Mr Surfacer 500, then sanded, and last, the rivets and panel lines were rescribed... I hope final result will look good enough...

Inner walls of the gun bay have been airbrushed with RLM02, and still need weathering, then detail painting.

190D9-36.jpg

Dry-fit test : all fits very well, once that inner sides of bay upper walls have been thinned quite a lot (nothing difficult).

190D9-37.jpg

This picture above also allows to see the rivet lines on the wing, done with the wonderful tool done by Petr Dousek (Rosie the Riveter).

That's all for today :-)

Chris (BlackDog)

Chris ( LedZep fan by any chance?)

I've been watching your progress with this kit and I do hope that you'll be able to do an article of the entire build for LSP when you've finished.

So often these progress shots disappear over time into the server.

it really is a superb looking build and should be preserved for electronic posterity.

Do you have any plans for its colour scheme?

cheers

Tony Oliver

LSP Assoc.Editor UK

Chris ( LedZep fan by any chance?)

I've been watching your progress with this kit and I do hope that you'll be able to do an article of the entire build for LSP when you've finished.

So often these progress shots disappear over time into the server.

it really is a superb looking build and should be preserved for electronic posterity.

Do you have any plans for its colour scheme?

cheers

Tony Oliver

LSP Assoc.Editor UK

Thanks for your comments, guys, I appreciate it...

A few answers :

- no, I am not a LedZep fan, sorry :lol:

- doing a whole article when plane is finished : why not... Main problem is : I am a bit lazy after one kit is finished... I will try to do something.

- color scheme : yes, it will be the 'Black 1' from 14./JG26 flown by Hans Dortenmann in March 45. I will use EagleCals #EC60 as shown on pic below :

190D9-01.jpg

Hi all,

current step : illustrated by a not very good picture showing riveting method, using 'Rosie the Riveter' wonderful tool, a metal ruler and some adhesive Dymo tape to mask areas where I do not want to scribe rivets.

This method is incredibly faster than my previous one doing each rivet one by one with a sharp needle (but I did not have Rosie at this time).

190D9-38.jpg

Now I just need to rivet the right wing upper side and I am done, and will proceed to attach wings to fuselage. Overall paint steps soon.

I noticed in the picture that you have a book of some sort...looks like a tech manual. What is it and where could it be purchased. Keep up the good work!

Keith

Hi Keith,

this tech manual is AeroDetail 2 about Fw 190D. Very helpful with many pics from D9 from Wright-Patterson museum and several drawings and scale plans with rivet lines. I also have the Squadron Walkaround which is quite useful too. However if you need riveting info only the AeroDetail has it.

Hi all,

a few steps today : first, end of work on wings under surfaces : non-mobile part of wing flaps (Eduard PE) have been glued with 2-components quick epoxy (too difficult with CA glue, very small contact surface). I also did add a few details with styrene rod on the 'floor' of the fuselage behind the wings. This floor will be seen from the opened trap door on the fuselage left side (MW50 tank trap door).

190D9-39.jpg

I did not follow the assembly sequence shown on Hasegawa doc for wings : I started by gluing wings uper surfaces to fuselage, so to be sure to get a smooth and clean assembly between wings and fuselage, and also because the extra gun bay (Eduard resin) that should be glued behind this wing surface would have been difficult to fit and glue with any other assembly method. After a few dry-fit tests, it seems that the large wing under-surface fits almost perfectly under the plane...

It is quite pleasing to get a smooth fit as I now have many parts that could have hindered this fit : Eduard PE flaps, resin gun bay, scratch details on the fuselage floor, ...

190D9-40.jpg

190D9-41.jpg

I still need to work a bit on the undercarriage bays before closing the wings... I have not chosen yet to paint those wells before or after wing assembly...

Thanks all for your comments,

here is the step done yesterday evening :

The large wing under surface part is finally glued to the whole airframe... I first painted the undercarriage bays (RLM02 painting - Future coat - drybrush - wash - detail painting). Then the whole part was glued, beginning with rear area under fuselage, then with part touching Eduard PE non mobile flap parts under the wings, then other seams all around the wing.

Note that I did use plastic braces (one use, need to be cut to be removed) to get strong pressure on the seams around the fuselage. I found this trick on another web site and found it quite useful.

On the pic below, the forward part (near gear bays) is not yet glued.

190D9-42.jpg

All this assembly is now drying and I will then proceed to fill the very few and very small seam gaps that could occur on a few spots (CA glue + Mr Surfacer 500).

Now it's almost looking like a plane :D horizontal stab, upper cowling for engine/guns, and windshield stand have been glued, and the front engine cowl is test-fitted. The whole Dora shape is appearing...

No ugly problem while working on this, but several areas needed putty and sanding (CA glue, Surfacer 500 and fine grit sanding) to ensure smooth and clean seams... Those small 'problems' are probably due to the many extra detail kits I have used on this Dora : Eagle Parts cockpit, gun and front engine cowls, Aires wing gun bay, etc... Fitting all those sets involved cutting kit parts with fairly complex shapes...

Areas where I did need to work most with putty and sanding are shown on pic below with read arrows :

- forward part of fuselage guns cowling, where it touches the radiator cowls,

- triangular shaped part below windscreen, this was the area asking for the most work to ensure a best fit to forward cowl and fuselage below,

- area located at wing root leading edge (involving fuselage part, under et top surfaces of wing).

190D9-43.jpg

190D9-44.jpg