Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Have also been looking into mounting the hull, as holes will have to be drilled and nuts bonded inside to suit. Was going to order some Pontos pedestals - but they are very expensive and I've been looking at alternatives.

Iain

Hi Ian,

I must be mistaken, but I thought that the Pontos set included the brass pedestals....

My Pontos set should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Nope - the preview shots of the set show them fitted to the hull - but they're not included.

Think I have a cunning plan... 

Ordered today - will need some 10mm threaded bar cut to length and a few nuts and spacer washers. Will see when they arrive.

Need to make a base plinth too.

Iain

Hi Ian,

I have seen this on-line and I thought it was interesting....

Ship%20stand%20idea_zpsedqono8o.jpg

I like the green of the glass, sorta gives the "idea" of water.

Edited by Fooesboy

That looks a great idea Chris - might have to look into that!

May have to go have a chat with local glass merchant.

EDIT - now if the glass could be cut to fit the curve of the hull up to the waterline...

(I'm getting sidetracked again!)  :frantic: :help:

Iain

It's just dawned on me that I've been very remiss and not posted any further images since I got my Pontos set - so, without further ado...

The un-assuming brown box:

IMG_9615_zpsi1boqani.jpg

That transforms into an explosion in a brass (and wood/resin) factory:

IMG_9616_zpsrdcss543.jpg

IMG_9618_zpshtft61xl.jpg

Back in a mo...

Iain

Will get back to the brass shortly, but I mentioned the acquisition of fresh polyester car body filler supplies over the weekend - here's why:

IMG_9790_zpsnw774gcq.jpg

IMG_9789_zpspptoilc2.jpg

IMG_9788_zpsiqpaksis.jpg

As you can see, the 'plating' is a tad overdone and needs to be sorted. The degaussing cable that the hull needs removing as well - that will be replaced by sections of photo-etched brass.

Why car body filler?

The usual plastic model fillers contain a solvent that, if applied thickly, can take some time to dry off and can shrink over time.

OK - so how about Milliput/Other Epoxy Putty brand?

Because, although it doesn't really shrink, it does dry pretty hard - I'd have to get it almost perfectly level with surrounding plates before a final sanding, or I'd me in danger of entering the pit of eternal sanding which, as well as potentially time-sapping, would be more likely to cause detail, and possibly shape, loss.

Oh - and I'm lazy!  ;)

The polyester fiiller is easy to apply, quick to harden and easy to sand. It's also nice and stable and will adhere well to the plastic.

Sorry - couldn't get a neat shot of the full hull - need a larger photo space!

Oh, and I know I'm starting with a bit of a negative with filling the plating, but mouldings themselves are hugely (in every sense of the word) impressive. The Hull is a single that uses slide moulding and is a breathtaking piece of injection moulding.

Iain

One of the developments in ship modelling that amazed me when I started taking an interest in nautical subjects a few years back was the arrival of the laser-cut wooden deck.

These are designed using Computer Aided Design programmes and etched/cut by laser. The adhesive-backed veneer is incredibly thin and very carefully designed, not only for accuracy, but also to fit the given kit.

The decks supplied with the Pontos set for the Hood are huuuuuge - and I'm confident will look superb when fitted. Am told that painting the hull before applying the wooden decks is the easiest way to go.

IMG_9785_zpsdhepq6wk.jpg

IMG_9786_zpsay5ie6jl.jpg

IMG_9787_zpsdmijat4f.jpg

I guess it's never going to be 100% - but it's as close as we're likely to get!

Iain

These aren't the only deck coverings - there's also a section of steel deck (possibly covered in a lino-type material - Cortesene) that is represented in the Pontos set by a large photo-etched component:

IMG_9784_zpsufd8eb8n.jpg

Iain

The turned brass components are something else - a huge number of parts (including two ship's bells) - I haven't yet gone through and checked off against the instructions - but will do soon.

Have left in bags as I'm concerned about losing things at the mo...

IMG_9781_zpsg68ywi8k.jpg

And one of the Hood's 15" Guns - these are beautiful:

IMG_9782_zpsvu3v2nni.jpg

And a set of 4 propellers - 2 l/h and 2 r/h rotation.

IMG_9780_zpsc7ldzsqs.jpg

I'll probably end up painting these as they're a bit shiny, as well as having some areas I want to smooth off.

Iain

Next up - some resin stuff - unusually, but cleanly, cast in white resin.

Again the masters have been designed on CAD and feature main gun blast bags, searchlights, gun directors, winches etc., etc..

IMG_9777_zpsoxtordlc.jpg

IMG_9778_zpslrynvy0n.jpg

And a set of clear lenses for the searchlights:

IMG_9779_zpsgqeumcwz.jpg

Iain

And lots of photo-etched sheets - starting with railings:

IMG_9783_zpsbmrlyxhj.jpg

And some slightly smaller sheets:

IMG_9760_zps3fipnlck.jpg

IMG_9761_zpsvujwd2vr.jpg

IMG_9762_zpsmykmce7g.jpg

IMG_9763_zpse5ycy6uw.jpg

The next fret, #5, provides details for the larger front funnel in the Trumpeter kit. The rear funnel in the kit is undersized (both funnels should be he same size) so I've acquired a second funnel sprue from Trumpeter and taken advantage of an offer from Sovereign Hobbies to have the two frets for the larger funnels. So - my set has two fret #5s and no fret #6:

IMG_9764_zpsrgeolsvf.jpg

Back in a mo...

Iain

Keep posting this stuff and I am going to wind up starting a similar project.  It all looks really tempting.  I will tell my wife to blame you.

I think I would do either the Bismark or the Iowa though.

Edited by Bryan