Fw190 Dora quickie: grill in supercharger intake or not??

nmayhew

hi guys,

just a quickie!

did Fw190 Doras have a grill or mesh in the supercharger intake?

if so, was it set right at the front, or a little way in?

i have trawled my hard drive and google etc for pics, but as ever, i can find every angle except the one i want!

cheers

Nick

thank you Jerry prompt reply

however, i am surprised: in further searching after my initial post i found what looks like initial flight trial data and reports, which specifically mentions a grill, as part of it broke of and ended up fowling the supercharger and ultimately the engine...

"The first engine failed from supercharger damage after a short period of operation. The lattice filter built into the air intake broke and parts of it dropped into the supercharger."

The above quote is from Trial no.1 in the link below, and is in the "Results" section, 3rd paragraph

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw1...w190d9test.html

Does the above trial refer to prototypes, with the grill not being fitted to production models?

kind regards,

Nick

post-3756-1285049062.jpg

So, was this one applied after the war for storage purposes? But, why has it been applied deep inside the opening instead just putting it (more easily) in front of the opening?

Looks like it has been applied on the joint of the round front opening part and the back part of the scoop itself. So, this one look factory applied, doesn´t it?

On some pictures of DB and Jumo engines one can see such a lattice just on the supercharger intake itself, here is another picture from the web:

post-3756-1285049423.jpg

The turbine bucket is not built in here, but i have seen pictures with it built in and the lattice applied over it. Maybe this is the part that is meant having failed on Nicks report?

If anybody is the owner of the pics above just drop me a line to qoute you as the originator, or have me delete them. I posted the under Fair Use.

Wartime photo which even though the area is in some shade would probably show up a screen in the same place as that on the NASM machine - nothing there....

Ta152H0_.jpg

A screen over the actual face of the supercharger impellor would probably be as effective.

Jerry, maybe you should show ZM (I assume you'll have a better photo than this) as their Ta 152 has the screen and probably some pesky little locating slots inside the supercharger intake - could be that they could remove it for last iteration....?

Matt

Matt,

i am afraid you won´t be able to see the fine mesh of a screen inside of the intake in this shot even if it was there. But i agree, all of the pictures of Fw 190D-9 and Ta 152H i checked in my library do not show a mesh or lattice inside of the air intake to the supercharger. So i agree, too, to Jerry´s statement.

But... Why has the Ta 152H-1 in storage a perfect lattice in the intake? This doesn´t look like an improvised addition to the intake, it is to perfect and placed in a position where some professional metal work would be needed to firmly apply it there. If someone in charge to store this war booty would have seen the need to close the intake to prevent dirt or whatever else from getting in this person would imho not have reworked the intake in this manner.

BTW: i don´t know why the translator of the document Nick quotes speaks of a "lattice filter", for there is nothing coming in that is filtered. Imho a better translation would be "mesh screen".

BTW: i don´t know why the translator of the document Nick quotes speaks of a "lattice filter", for there is nothing coming in that is filtered. Imho a better translation would be "mesh screen".

Hi All,

Based on the test report there was sme sort of grill or screen initially, but as the report states it was eventually deleted. If you have access to my Dora books there are several photos that show no screen or grill in the scoop or on the face of the supercharger itself. Also no recovered Dora has been found with a grill or screen.

Cheers, Jerry

Jerry,

of course i have both of your books on the Fw 190D series. They are the best one can get on this topic on this planet! :yahoo:

In my last sentence in my post above just wanted to give another, maybe, better translation for the expression the unknown translator choosed. I never called it in question that there has been a mesh during trials that has been deleted after its failure. Maybe i did not made this clear enough.

Hi All,

...If you have access to my Dora books there are several photos that show no screen or grill in the scoop or on the face of the supercharger itself. Also no recovered Dora has been found with a grill or screen

To quote myself:

But i agree, all of the pictures of Fw 190D-9 and Ta 152H i checked in my library do not show a mesh or lattice inside of the air intake to the supercharger. So i agree, too, to Jerry´s statement.

So i think Nick´s question has been definively answered by you, Jerry :) .

But we still have no clue why the Ta 152H-1 in storage has a mesh in the intake... :deadhorse: