• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 quang

quang

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:40 PM

I don't know why, but the horrifying thought just crossed my mind that the contemporary photos were shot on ortho film, and the black checks were actually the yellow ones, and vice versa. Ridiculous of course.But seriously, very neat checker pattern which isn't always as easy as you'd think. 

I was making up the red/black and yellow/black checkers of a graphic for Ramstein Phantom fin caps earlier today, and it takes real precision. At least it does for someone like me.

Chek, no ortho on this WWII pic:
E439_B3_AA_13_B8_4_CAF_B2_B4_A1_FFB9071_

Indeed real precision is needed to get neat checkers especially if you want them to end up exactly like on the real thing. Everything needs to be correct including the KIT tail shape. One thing goes wrong, everything will go wrong.
I admit the checkers on my horizontal tail plane is not as accurate as I would like it, but in my defense I couldn’t find a clear plan view of the original to base my pattern on.

This looks terrific Quang! I love the bright checkers against the NMF.
I printed out some suitably sized checks in my Silouhette program, laid down a straight edge in tape to keep things aligned, then did just that; used some clear frisket film to transfer all checkers over together, then removed every other check to paint the opposite color on my Fokker DV.II.
Worked a treat

Brian,
Like I said, this was done the old school way with just pen and paper. My Mac is so old that I cannot get my ancient graphic programs to work. Furthermore I don’t have a printer anymore.
The hardest and most time-consuming was cutting the square decals with frisket knife and steel ruler.

That's the incorrect shade of yellow. Now scrape all those decals off and start over. 😉
JK, looks great!

We live in uncertain times. Catastrophe is impending. There’s more to it.
Watch this space!

Cheers,
Quang
  • Chek and Uncarina like this

:mellow: Elbow grease and toxic fumes  :blink:

In process: REVELL early P-51D Mustang

In waiting: FLY Hurricane IIC In sleeping: KITTY HAWK P-39 Airacobra

#122 Uncarina

Uncarina

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:08 AM

Quang,

Hats off to you Sir! Simply brilliant: the finish and the technique.

Cheers, Tom
  • quang likes this

#123 quang

quang

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

Quang,

Hats off to you Sir! Simply brilliant: the finish and the technique.

Cheers, Tom

Much obliged, Tom.

As for the technique, watch this WWII footage of the 325th Group to see how they did it on the real a/c. Quick and neat  :bow: Start at 47:10.

Cheers,

Q

Edited by quang, 07 June 2018 - 07:46 AM.

• Uncarina likes this

:mellow: Elbow grease and toxic fumes  :blink:

In process: REVELL early P-51D Mustang

In waiting: FLY Hurricane IIC In sleeping: KITTY HAWK P-39 Airacobra

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: revell, p-51D, 1/32, build, checkertail, eduard, brasalclad, metal, silver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users