Clarktor 6 Tow Tractor Scratchbuilt 1/33rd Scale

Bomarc

A light coat of CA glue overall locks everything down, and with a last gentle sanding on the rotary tool, one tire is done:

IMG_7843.jpg

And of course, as is my fate, I had to do it all over again to make a second:

IMG_7844.jpg

Detailing the sidewalls with copper wire came next. I used a punch from an automotive gasket punch set I have in my garage as a mandrel to pre-shape the wire (hey whatever works in modeling):

IMG_7845.jpg

IMG_7846.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

Then painted up, ready for the rims/hubs:

IMG_7850.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg

The rims for the front tires followed the same sequences as for the rears. Using this highly technical tool found in a pencil box (of all places!), I fabricated the outer rim:

IMG_7856.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

The hubs went the path of stacked card on a dowel. Because of the small size of that protruding part, a music wire core was installed to keeps together while being spun up on the dremel . The last image is a “before and after” view:

IMG_7859.jpg

IMG_7861.jpg

IMG_7862.jpg

Detailing on the hubs consisted of punched discs for lug nuts, some copper wire, and laser cut bolts heads from “Avantcard” and then painted in assemblies:

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7864.jpg

Final assembly:

IMG_7865.jpg

IMG_7866.jpg

Try to imagine a Clarktor tractor between these :rolleyes: :

IMG_7867.jpg

OK, rough part’s over. The rest should a breeze, right?

Hope you guys are enjoying the ride thus far.....

Hope you guys are enjoying the ride thus far.....

Immensely enjoyable and informative at the same time!!! Beautiful work and thank you for sharing your techniques. I have a "few hours" on later model Clark tractors from an airline lay-off and you are really capturing the look in miniature.

Gary :thumbsup:

Guest Nigelr32

What a fantastically executed, unusual project. Beautiful!!

Would you not have been satisfied with the 1/32nd Trumpeter Tractor that comes with the Hellcat kit? I think I know thwe answer before you reply ha ha .

Happy new Year

Gonna have to start calling you Mad Mike.

I could see this working in plastic too... if only I had the patience.

More like 'Saint Mike' Keith, as in the 'Patience of'...:D

I appreciate the work that Mike has to put into these so called 'paper' models (which is as sophisticated as any other modelling medium

to my mind). This is LSP scratch building at it's finest, so very deservedly earns a place in LSP - Great work Mike :speak_cool:

Derek

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate all the kind words ("Saint Mike"...? :rolleyes: ). There are so many high caliber modelers on this forum, that I was bit apprehensive when Geoff (Ironwing) nudged me to display the Mitchell here, but the warm welcome I got with that thread proved that my concerns were baseless. You're a great bunch of guys, and I'm just happy I can contribute something worthwhile to this place.

I'm getting all the pics in order for the next wave of installments: Chassis, drive train, and suspension in the coming days (lots of stuff for such a tiny tractor, huh?). And Nigel(r32), I'm sure the Trumpy tug in the Hellcat kit is nice, but this is more fun....;)

Great stuff Mike!

Your skills are a very welcome addition to our little family here. :D

I LOVE learning how others get their final result and this is great stuff. That site with the diamond tread and bolt heads is awesome! Bookmarked for future projects for sure.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Brian

I hope that the LSP mods will consider condensing this little lot into the tips and techniques section once completed, as it would be a shame to lose such useful information amongst the normal forum threads?

Cheers

Derek

Well, guess it’s time for less words and more pics. With all that unpleasantness with the wheels out of the way, the rest of the build followed pretty standard model building technique, whether It be paper or plastic. Drew up a pattern for the frame and proceeded to build that up. One nice thing about working in paper, you can print your patterns directly to the material you’re building with:

IMG_7869.jpg

IMG_7870.jpg

IMG_7871.jpg

IMG_7872.jpg

Here I’m using some of that laser cut diamond plate stuff. It’s cut on mat board, and I just peel a section off and apply. Takes paint well:

IMG_7873.jpg

IMG_7874.jpg

IMG_7875.jpg

Next added the brackets for the suspension, detailed with laser cut bolt heads:

IMG_7876.jpg

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

One of the reasons I chose the early version of the Clarktor 6 with the louvered side cowls:

1940sCT6withaB-25.jpg

Verses the more common grill type:

GrillClarktor.jpg

Is that it saves me from having to build a complete engine (plus I think it looks cooler). However, I still needed to make the oil pan that hangs below the chassis. Mat board card stacked up accomplishes that:

IMG_7881.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

Since I’m not making an engine, I used a sheet of card painted flat black to represent the open area around the oil pan:

IMG_7887.jpg

Clarktor 6 tugs made in the ‘40’s and ‘50’s sport a Chrysler Flat head 6 cylinder. The predominate color of those engines appears to be silver, so that’s what I painted the oil pan:

IMG_7889.jpg

IMG_7890.jpg

At this point, it’s probably a good time to mention some of my reference source. One good source is the website of Doc Throck. Lots of good shots of a Clarktor being torn down and restored. But by far the best source of Clark tug information on the web is a Yahoo group called (strangely enough) ”Clark Tugs”. Tons of downloadable manuals, the brochures I mentioned previously, even some factory drawings. It’s meant for the owners/restorers of Clark Tugs, but it also a treasure trove for modelers too. From there I scored these cool bottom and drive train pictures that helped to fuel this phase of the build:

ClarktorCT-6LubricatonInstructions.jpgDrive_Train.jpg

More drive train work coming up…..

Edited by Bomarc