F-16A Viper " Redskins" conversion

timvkampen

My other project next to the Thunderjet is the conversion of the Tamiya F-16C Thunderbirds to an F-16A of the RNLAF, around 1992, with special tail depicting "Humprey" the Indian of 314 Sqn (now disestablished).

Backdating the C to an A requires various parts of the C to be remodelled such as the tail, flaps and cockpit. Here's some of the work done so far.

taken care of the seam:

IMG_2139.jpg

parabrake housing (from PWMP, thanks JP!) for the A-tail:

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

As you can see the black marker line depicts where the tailpiece should attach. Also apparent is that the parabrake housing is too wide. A lot of sanding took place to make it work!

IMG_2166.jpg

Most of the cockpit front 'office' had to be changed (backdated) to the 1992 configuration of Dutch Vipers. The Waldron sets I purchased are great for this! My first time using it and scratchbuilding is fun. Just for the record: I tried the lay-out three times. So practice makes perfect.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Part of the true detail (Squadron) cockpit is used for the A-version cockpit. Basically I only use bits and pieces such as the radar scope that was positioned in between the pilot's legs with the early Vipers.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

TIM

:piliot:

Edited by timvkampen

Hi Tim,

Looks great so far. You mentioned the parabrake housing is too wide. Did you narrow to the black lines you drew on the housing or is it a bit wider than that?

For a moment, I thought you might have started on the Tiger Meet F-16 that I sent you decals for. I thought I might have to start mine to keep up with you. Not that it's a race or anything.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Hi Carl,

The fourth photo from the first posting I did shows the outline of the tail. You'll need to compare with references how much 'tweaking' is necessary.

Regarding the Tiger Meet one: yes, that is the second one I am preparing!! So, you start yours first so I'll follow that :)

I am also thinking of the 1985 Tiger Meet version next to the 1998 one.

TIM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice Work, Tim. The Viper has always held a special place in me, and I would love to build a 32nd scale one sometime. I like the work so far, nice to see a pilot being used. Have been thinking about building a Poilsh or Greek bird. Need to revisit that idea.

Thanks for sharing-

Thor, Viper fan..... :ninja:

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Finally picked up where I left in 2011!!!: a day of gathering the bits and pieces and comparing and assessing my KASL parabrake housing with the PWMP installed one. And plotting what needs to be done the coming months to construct this one.

Conclusions:

1. After having read the constructive notes from Mike V. of Sierra Hotel on my previous KASL parabrake posting, I decided to go cut off the PWMP bit and modify the KASL one. Reason: it is, despite the things missing, superior in shape and detail to the PWMP one. The shape of the PWMP ones are just too far off (and warped in certain areas). However, the PWMP one can be used as a guide to build the RAM pattern and EWR antennas. I also found out that the top of the fin of the PWMP offering can be used to replace the incorrect KASL one (which is Block 20)!

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=64254 

2a. There is room for a few proper parabrake housings in 32 (and 48) scale as it would fill a void still that is there for building the right F-16A/B (MLU) versions. The Daco model offering has been in the making since forever, so that is probably not happening for the 48-builders???

http://www.dacoproducts.com

FDCC4803.jpg

2b. While we are at it: also early tail (block 10/15) pieces should be marketed :) , including the stabilator fins (block 10).

3.a Early cockpit work continued. I was actually pleased with what I did so far, but room to tweak still there of course. Maybe also something for Mike V to consider, an early block 10 and 15 cockpit (IP panel). The True Details one (designed for the Hasegawa 1/32) is just not fitting and too big.

As you can see, it is a lot of work to create the right IP...and other bits too.

3.b. I can highly recommend the CMK ACES II seat!! it fits like a glove.

4. The KASL exhaust, while not cheap, is a marvel. It is in the opened position so they could still come up with the closed one, or you can just use the kit one which is very nice as well.

5. Rescribing the panel lines near the parabrake shall be a challenge. I think a similar solution as KASL designed for the 1/48 Tamiya kits should be considered in 1/32 scale.

6. Finally: the early wheels are a must and Mike V of Sierra Hotel is working on those....

So, I picked up the project again...now slowly bit by bit putting it together...

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

(not the IP I am building, this is the early block 10 set-up)

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

Edited by timvkampen

Wow, I never knew the PWMP dorsal was that far off. Nice work blending it though. The KASL vertical tail dorsal is better. Here are a couple refs I took a while back:

F-16AM%20Dorsal.2_zpshvbxbtkw.jpg

F-16AM%20Dorsal.1_zpsbocppst9.jpg

The KASL Pratt nozzle is well done too. Are you going to rescribe the fuel saddle bay panels that perimeter the dorsal? 

The Early F-16 LWG Wheels will be out later this year; check your mail BTW.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike. I think I have no choice regarding the scribing  :hmmm: ...so, careful planning here. The KASL dorsal is a good base until an even better solution comes along (yours of course :)). 

Although the build is enjoyable I can imagine people here just would like a plane Tamiya F-16A (and B) (MLU) without having to go through the hassle that one  needs to go through now. Your conversion sets would be most welcomed I think....one can only dream of course. Thanks for the close-up pics. They are now in the TKA Viper library  :thumbsup: