Luftwaffe Classic, Classic colours and other Midland/Ian Allan/Hikoki/Crecy/Chandos Luftwaffe books

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

Let's not forget the Ta 154 and Do 217, both volumes that are currently on my wants list.

Got the sequence numbers for those books? That's what Thierry is after. 

D

1 hour ago, D Bellis said:

Got the sequence numbers for those books? That's what Thierry is after. 

D

I have no idea, just that they're part of the series, at least as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the support!

will go back to my library as I have some others and should receive soon a bunch of classic books including the Ju52, Do217 and He111 ones.

To go back to the Fw200 Condor, I think the second volume is not a revised edition as it has a different author. 

It looks volume 36 was just released!

Aeronautica Macchi Fighters Mc. 200 Saetta - Mc. 202 Folgore - Mc. 205 Veltro

By the way, I've been very lucky as I just found a very large amount of the Classic Luftwaffe books I was yet looking after! I cannot believe I'm waiting for 8 hardbound ones and 17 softbound ones. Price was not cheap but acceptable in comparison with the crazy prices we commonly see. Still hunting to get around 4 hardbound ones and 6 softbound ones to complete the series I'm interested in!

On 3/7/2024 at 5:08 PM, thierry laurent said:

It looks volume 36 was just released!

Aeronautica Macchi Fighters Mc. 200 Saetta - Mc. 202 Folgore - Mc. 205 Veltro

That would be outside of the scope of the books being discussed, which would the numbered books in the Luftwaffe Classics series originating with Classic Publications. None of them were softbound books, nor did any of them cover NON-Luftwaffe subjects (such as Italian Macchis). However, Classic Publications as well as the follow-on Crecey Publishing also published many other books and series of books covering a wide range of subjects that were NOT part of the Luftwaffe Classics series. 

An updated list of the Luftwaffe Classics series of books:

No.1  JV44
No.2  Hs 129  (superseded by Martin Pegg’s updated edition published by Chandros Publishing)
No.3  Me 262 Vol.1
No.4  Me 262 Vol.2
No.5  Me 262 Vol.3
No.6  Me 262 Vol.4
No.7  Mistel
No.8  Me 163 Vol.1
No.9  Me 163 Vol.2
No.8/9 Me 163 Revised Edition (previous No.8 and No.9 combined into one book with revised content)
No.10  Helicopters
No.11  Natter
No.12  Ho 229
No.13  Dornier Do 335
No.14  Ju 287
No.15  Heinkel He 177
No.16  Fw 200
No.17  Heinkel He 162
No.18  Fw 190 Vol. 1
No.19  Fw 190 Vol. 2
No.20  Fw 190 Vol. 3
No.21  
No.22  Junkers Ju 87
No.23  Junkers Ju 88 Vol. 1
No.24  Junkers Ju 88 Vol. 2
No.25  He 111
No.26  Ju 52
No.27  Do 215
No.28  Fw 200
No.29  V2 Rocket
No.30  Do 17
No.31  Ta 154
No.32  Do 217
No.33  S.79 Sparviero
No.34  Ar 234
No.35  Junkers Ju 88 Vol.3

Obviously, there are still some holes that need to be filled... 

D

Edited by D Bellis

3 hours ago, D Bellis said:

That would be outside of the scope of the books being discussed, which would the numbered books in the Luftwaffe Classics series originating with Classic Publications. None of them were softbound books, nor did any of them cover NON-Luftwaffe subjects (such as Italian Macchis). However, Classic Publications as well as the follow-on Crecey Publishing also published many other books and series of books covering a wide range of subjects that were NOT part of the Luftwaffe Classics series. 

An updated list of the Luftwaffe Classics series of books:

No.1  JV44
No.2  Hs 129  (superseded by Martin Pegg’s updated edition published by Chandros Publishing, which is not within the scope of this list)
No.3  Me 262 Vol.1
No.4  Me 262 Vol.2
No.5  Me 262 Vol.3
No.6  Me 262 Vol.4
No.7  Mistel
No.8  Me 163 Vol.1
No.9  Me 163 Vol.2
No.8/9 Me 163 Revised Edition (previous Volumes 1 & 2 combined into one book with revised content)
No.10  Helicopters
No.11  Natter
No.12  Ho 229
No.13  Dornier Do 335
No.14  Ju 287
No.15  Heinkel He 177
No.16  Fw 200
No.17  Heinkel He 162
No.18  Fw 190 Vol. 1
No.19  Fw 190 Vol. 2
No.20  Fw 190 Vol. 3
No.19  
No.22  Junkers Ju 87
No.23  Junkers Ju 88 Vol. 1
No.24  Junkers Ju 88 Vol. 2
No.25  He 111
No.26  Ju 52
No.27  
No.28  
No.29  V2 Rocket
No.30  
No.31  
No.32  
No.33  
No.34  Ar 234

Obviously, there are still some holes that need to be filled... 

D

Thanks very much for the effort! I do not know why Crecy put that book in the series, maybe because Macchis were also used by the Luftwaffe? The V2 book is in the series whereas this has always been a Heer weapon, not a Luftwaffe one (as the V1 was). So I guess the 'Luftwaffe' topic became probably a larger WW2 German/axis range. The softbound books I mentioned were the Classic Luftwaffe Colours ones. Obviously they were not part of the hardbound numbered range. Nonetheless they were released by the same editor at the same time with the same authors and about the same topic! I think around 38 were released. To go back to the hardbound ones, I'm wondering if all of the late ones were visibly numbered? I got various other similar Luftwaffe big books from Crecy that got no clearly apparent numbers. I still have to check that! The Fernandez-Sommerau Me109 book or the Me264 Amerika bomber one clearly look like the other books but without any series number! Weird!

10 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

maybe because Macchis were also used by the Luftwaffe?

More likely that new Macchi book's number belongs to a different series of books, or numbering it was simply a mistake by an uninformed editor. 

The list posted above has been updated with your new information. :) 

D

According to Crecy it is in the same series but I've no clue about the reason behind that. This looks far fetched as in that case we could even consider books about the Spitfires or Mustangs in the same 'Luftwaffe' series! :blink: At least the V2 was a flying German army tooling, even if it was not a Luftwaffe one. It looks the recent Nachtjäger volume is also in the series according to the publisher. I have it but cannot reach it now to check if it is numbered. Wait and see. We already progressed noticeably. :)

The other book on the Ar234 could be the Chandos publications version according to the website it's out of stock 

https://www.chandospublications.co.uk/new-arado-234-book-expected-2020/

But I have just received a mail from Rich at Chandos who has located another 5 copies for sale.

So if anybody is interested I don't think they will last long.

Bob

2 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

The other book on the Ar234 could be the Chandos publications version according to the website it's out of stock 

https://www.chandospublications.co.uk/new-arado-234-book-expected-2020/

That particular book is specifically about the Ar 234's operations with KG76, while the Classic Luftwaffe No.34 covers all versions and users of the Ar 234. Different focus rather than an update. 

Great book in and of itself, though.

D

I mentioned I was waiting for the last Classic Luftwaffe softbound books I had been looking after. However, I have still a doubt as I found conflicting information about the Fledging Eagles (training) as well as the Schlachtflieger references. You can find on the web two different covers for each one but the title covers in both cases the full war time period whereas the war years were always cut in distinct time slots when there were various volumes for ALL the other Luftwaffe colour topics. I could only find ONE ISBN and ONE author for the Fledging Eagles book (9781906537050). Accordingly there was probably a single volume for which we can find a provisional and a final cover pictures on the Internet. For the Schlachtflieger air to ground attackers the situation is weird as there is one 1937-1945 book written by 6 authors (9781857802740) but I found on AbeBooks another one for the same period with another ISBN and written by a French author (9781903223789). So I'm wondering if that last book was ever released: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fpictures.abebooks.com%2Fisbn%2F9781903223789-us.jpg&tbnid=Ph6xvWvPXfC4nM&vet=1&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.abebooks.com%2F9781903223789%2FSchlachtflieger-Luftwaffe-Ground-Attack-Aircraft-1937-1945-1903223784%2Fplp&docid=DuyAMGazb3KGHM&w=375&h=500&itg=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim%2Fm4%2F2&kgs=40e85bcaa97bf606&shem=trie#vhid=Ph6xvWvPXfC4nM&vssid=l

?!?

As stated on the front covers of all those books near the top, they are part of the "Luftwaffe Colours" series of books, and NOT part of the Luftwaffe Classics series. 

Not all books published by Classic Publications were part of their Luftwaffe Classics series. As stated before, Classic Publications produced many different series of books. It seems as though you are lumping them all together. 

HTH,

D