Roy Cross Bf109 in 1:32

Hardcore

I am very fond of this illustration that was on Airfix's old Bf109G in 1/72 scale. There are a lot of mistakes, but it doesn't matter. In fact, I want to reproduce the most significant part: the colors in the camouflage. The problem is that they hardly exist in any Luftwaffe color series, so I have to figure them out myself. That's where I would need tips and ideas. Any input is welcome! 

6c4bedb3be0f2e6ac41621ab8d75d034

My guess is RLM70 Black Green/71 Dark Green on the wings, 76 Light Blue on the bottom and 74 Grey Green/75 Grey Violet fuselage spine with  mottling in the same colors, spinner, rudder and the "3" RLM04 Yellow.

Prop would be RLM70 Black Green.

I have no Idea how accurate this is, when I bought it the first time I was 7 or 8 years old (mid -60´s ?) and the kit was in a plastic bag with a paper header stapled to it and with this painting on it.

Regards

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

You could also go for the late war greens for the upper wings, RLM 81 and 82.  RLM 81 comes in both brown and green variants, go for the green. 

When that art work was conceived information on Luftwaffe camouflage was limited, and the image is not representative of the way most Bf 109Gs were actually painted.    But if you want reproduce those colors why not just mix your paint to match the artwork?

4 hours ago, RBrown said:

You could also go for the late war greens for the upper wings, RLM 81 and 82.  RLM 81 comes in both brown and green variants, go for the green. 

When that art work was conceived information on Luftwaffe camouflage was limited, and the image is not representative of the way most Bf 109Gs were actually painted.    But if you want reproduce those colors why not just mix your paint to match the artwork?

Paint mixing is difficult and my paint rack only contain a few bottles. 

Maybe I can find matches in a large range, like vallejo?