Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 P2961 LE-A Propeller

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 P2961 LE-A.

Is this Hurricane's propeller Rotol or Dehavilland? It looks like Rotol in Aviaeology's decal set. But I'm not sure as I couldn't find the original photo of the LE-A. I would also like to confirm that it is possible to convert the Revell MkIIb to the Mk.1a using AIMS' Rotol Propeller and Mk1 rear landing gear.

PS: Italeri gave a rotol propeller in 1/48 kit

01.jpg

AIMS32P41_1.jpg?t=1664978626

21 minutes ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

I would also like to confirm that it is possible to convert the Revell MkIIb to the Mk.1a using AIMS' Rotol Propeller and Mk1 rear landing gear.

No, at least not easily. The Mk.II had a 4" (10.16cm) longer nose than the Mk.I. 

Not sure about the prop issue.

HTH,

D

As mentioned above, the nose of the Mk II is longer than the Mk I, so needs to be shortened and you will need to do a rework of the leading edge at the wing root. Also, the IIb was cannon armed - do you mean IIa? The IIa would have the right wing, but the IIb has cannon plus redundant outer machine guns that would require a major rework of the wing. 

(Thank you ‘D’! :BANGHEAD2: My bad there)

The prop was probably a Rotol with the larger Rotol spinner. It looks like the plane has the later windscreen with internal windscreen armour, unfaired mirror and bead sight on the cowling. It’s finished in the ‘A’ scheme upper surface camouflage and would have had its White/Black lower surfaces repainted Sky in June 1940. No lower wing roundels till after mid-August 1940 (Type A, possibly 45” diameter), and the fin flash was probably full length and 27” wide (3 X 9” stripes) but that also may have been modified after mid-August to 27” high and 24” wide. Fuselage roundels would have initially been 35” diameter Type A, modified to Type A1 with an additional yellow outer ring, possibly only 5” wide. 49” diameter Type B upper wing roundels and 8” high serial on rear fuselage. 4-spoke wheels and aerial wire back to rudder post.

HTH

PR

PS - this would cover the plane to the end of the Battle of Britain. Did it have the skeletal artwork adorned during this time? McKnight was lost in this plane in January 1941 and it would have looked different by then - note Aviaeology artwork.

Edited by Pete Roberts

1 hour ago, Pete Roberts said:

Also, the IIb was cannon armed...

The Mk.IIb had either 8 (early) or 12 (late) .303 Browning machine guns. The main Mk.IIb feature was the ability to carry bomb racks, which differentiated the early Mk.IIa and early Mk.IIb which both carried 8 machine guns. Those Mk.IIb airframes that were fitted with four 20mm cannons were redesignated Mk.IIc. 

It seems likely that Tolga is looking to backdate the Revell Mk.IIb kit which represents the variant fitted with 12 .303 machine guns. 

HTH,

D

42 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

The Mk.IIb had either 8 (early) or 12 (late) .303 Browning machine guns. The main Mk.IIb feature was the ability to carry bomb racks, which differentiated the early Mk.IIa and early Mk.IIb which both carried 8 machine guns. Those Mk.IIb airframes that were fitted with four 20mm cannons were redesignated Mk.IIc. 

It seems likely that Tolga is looking to backdate the Revell Mk.IIb kit which represents the variant fitted with 12 .303 machine guns. 

HTH,

D

Thank you mate - my bad there! :oops: I’m better with early Hurri’s …..

Even more embarrassing, I have a Revell IIb to do the same with! Brain must have gone on a break.

Now where did I put my my meds…..

Edited by Pete Roberts

25 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I am not bothering to remove it as it's only 0.31cm in 32 scale...

1/8" or 3.2mm seems like a lot to me, but to each their own. 

These might help. Not mine, but rather poached from various online discussions on the subject.

This is an old piece concerning the nose and spinner differences (huge image, click to open in a new window, or save to zoom in):

H7aifnG.jpg

This one highlights the changes required to backdate the new Revell kit's 12 gun wing to 8 gun configuration:

UcG5aHA.jpg

HTH,

D

6 hours ago, D Bellis said:

1/8" or 3.2mm seems like a lot to me, but to each their own. 

These might help. Not mine, but rather poached from various online discussions on the subject.

This is an old piece concerning the nose and spinner differences (huge image, click to open in a new window, or save to zoom in):

H7aifnG.jpg

This one highlights the changes required to backdate the new Revell kit's 12 gun wing to 8 gun configuration:

UcG5aHA.jpg

HTH,

D

Now it is very clear, Thanks