Luftwaffe Mottle Mask

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can buy (i.e. they are in-stock) a 1:24 Luftwaffe mottle mask ? I could use a 1:32 as the variations in mottling are extensive due to the paint often being applied in the field. My airbrushing skills are not quite up to doing it freehand.

thanks

Duncan Doenitz

Your welcome. I use a lot of these sort of things. I have trouble translating the 2d image to a 3d model, so I have to (where I can) use camouflage masks to do any sort of cam pattern. The Luftwaffe splinter pattern is fairly simple, but anything else I have problems with. Mottle.. forget it, I have not done a single Luftwaffe WWII plane that has a mottle pattern, I always take the easiest route, and do the simplest cam pattern and avoid mottled patterns. So no late war aircraft at all! I do have several of the vinyl sets in the stash, but have not worked up the courage to use them yet!

The splinter on the upper wing and fuselage top is easy enough but the mottle on the fuselage side over RLM76 light blue should look very nice. I have the Top-Notch on order but will try to get a photo etch mask first and try the technique on a spare fuselage. Trumpeter include a perspex fuselage in their 1:24 kits (who knows why, there's nothing worth showing off) so that has been primed and sprayed with SMS Lichtblau. It looks too pale in the bottle but when on a model, it has just enough blue to look about right. 

I have a set of insignia masks but making my own from a sheet of Tamiya mask paper is very therapeutic. I did my own roundel masks on the Airfix 1:24 Spitfire and was delighted with the results. Lots of work with a compass cutter but the airbrush results are well worth it. It took about 10 attempts to get a perfect cut but perseverance wins.

If carefully applied, and removed once used, they are supposedly reusable... Up to now, I've only used the standard RAF type camo pattern masks, but never been able to reuse them as I do not tend to have multiples of the same kit!

Quick questions for you gentlemen…

I certainly understand the utility of masks in stippling, but doesn’t using a mask produce “hard edges” on the individual tags?

If so, do you gentlemen believe that it matters?

Not a great fan of Luftwaffe subjects but I do build them sometimes and wanted to be able to paint mottles so I bought the PE mottle masks, I tried using them coventionally which left hard edges which I was not too happy with, so I tried lifting them off the surface of the model with Blu Tac to get a soft edge, this was partially successful, but I was not happy with it.

So I went with the airbrush applied mottles and after a fair bit of practice I was happy with the results.

Cheers

Dennis

Sadly some of us don't have the ability to be able to produce the mottle effect without some sort of assistance. I am autistic and have major problems translating complex camouflage patterns freehand from a 2d image, onto a 3d shape, and is not limited to Luftwaffe camouflage. And yet, I have no issue interpreting the semi-complex instructions to take 2d vinyl cut shapes to transfer onto a model. Because I am following a set of instructions on how to do it, and can adjust as I go. I do not have to create from scratch. In these sort of scales, trying to reproduce a 1 or 2 inch (if that) feathered edge, just isn't possible, and any scale feathering would just be overscale. It would be a hard edge anyway.

If you have the ability to paint mottle free hand, all credit to you, but please don't "belittle" (for want of a better word) those of us who struggle to do so for various reasons, we need the assistance from the masks.

Edited by treker_ed

13 hours ago, treker_ed said:

In these sort of scales, trying to reproduce a 1 or 2 inch (if that) feathered edge, just isn't possible, and any scale feathering would just be overscale. It would be a hard edge anyway.

Hence, my second question, although scale may be the deciding factor. Even at that, I can't offer a definitive suggestion as to what might be too small. 1/72 perhaps? Can everyone agree that the larger the scale, the more approachable free-handing "the mottles" might be?

As I said, NOT everyone has the skill or time, or patience to be able to free hand mottle, or camouflage - so please do not continue to press your "perfection" on other people. If you have the skill, then fine and fair enough, others do not, and require the assistance of masking or templates to achieve what you are able to do freehand. As an autistic person it is a difficult concept to comprehend and translate. I personally do not have that "creative" neuron firing in my brain to achieve this task, and the fact that Top Notch Masks have produced these templates for mottles, and continue to manufacture them, tells me that there is a commercial market for them. Therefore, there must be a large number of people, like me, and the OP who need the assistance. 

Why you need "back-up" from the wider community to affirm your supposition that the larger scales might facilitate easier application of freehand mottle? It does not matter at what scale this applies at, if you need assistance, you need the assistance. So please stop with the "belittling", it seems you are asking this to stoke your own ego. That is my own view of why you are asking the question and why you need the affirmation of the wider community.

Hey guys,

I need to use masks as my airbrushing skills are not up to scratch. This is my second kit after a 45 year gap so I'm on the learning curve. I'm not sure I agree with Treker in that anyone is "pressing their perfection" as given a choice, I would prefer a feathered edge. I was looking for a photo-etch mask that could be held close to the model but the only 1/24 on the market seems to be out of stock. I am wondering if the Top Notch can be fixed a small distance above the model so the edge can be softened so perhaps there is a way to get this where my limited skills are not a factor. If not then perhaps a mist coat of several different shades of grey with the mask moved and rotated could provide something interesting. Until now, I had no idea that the Luftwaffe had such a random and wide ranging approach as much of it was done in the field with whatever was available. 

If at the end of the day, I am happy with the results then "job done". The engine is looking rather nice due to some after-market decals, engine washes and dry brushing. 

Mr Treker Sir,

I hope the above suggestion using a "stand-off" stencil works for me as it just came into my head. You may also want to give it a go and who knows, it may just work. Thanks also for sharing some of your personal circumstances. I don't have much insight into the world of autism however I applaud you sharing it with us. So far, I have found everyone to be extremely generous with their time and advice, including your good self. My first kit in a very long time was the Airfix 1:24 Spitfire IXc. My research and simple kit "corrections" took ages and I am delighted with the results. I cut my own stencils for all markings other than numbers and letters and the painted roundels are simply fantastic. The end result is far from competition standard however my efforts showed signs of OCD. I think most of us who choose to do this hobby often show traits that others find curious and that includes my good lady. She commented that if I can build such a detailed model then I can be trusted to do electrical work in our house. Perhaps that was not such a smart move on my behalf !

Anyway, the good news is that my next kit is the terrific 1:72 Airfix Vulcan so I can get away with hard edges. It's a large model so won't qualify for much discussion here.

The only result that counts is if YOU are delighted. That's where it starts and ends.

all the best

Duncan Doenitz (not my real name, I thought it was witty)