WnW Rumpler C.IV ... and a [non kit related] blunder

Jboldt007

So yeah i purchased a bunch of WnW kits from my local retailer because i was worried there would be a run on them,... and I've been so enamoured with them i've parked my... like 3 or 4 other builds ... and dived in. I started with a DH.9 but have had to do some triage on that so temporarily parked. At spring break we went on the family ski vacation and i decided to bring along the Rumpler C.IV kit i had just bought. I had to sneak up my modelling stuff in the wheel well lest my wife discovered it (of course she knew) but my daughters ratted on me in any event. The long and short is although i had my compressor along i didn't use my airbrush so for the interior it's all hand brushed. But that's ok. Here is the "dry fit" - nothing glued in (yes the fuselage panel isn't in the right place). The Spandau is Gaspatch. Nothing wrong with the kit one but i want the access panel off and the Gaspatch one doesn't require trying to wrap a PE part around a tube. This kit so far is easier than the DH.9. The WnW kits as everyone knows fit like Swiss watches - works of art. But here is the problem - THEY FIT LIKE SWISS WATCHES. which means you need to be precise and careful with everything and check every fit. The instructions are beautiful but at time notional. You really need to think about how it all goes together and test fit everything. Some things just snap in place and it's best to leave them be 1 

246369_6d05e391fb904fb19852feaf5ff9c1cd~

so then when i get back home- i painted the fuselage - I'm doing "6692/16" for which two great pictures were taken on a muddy field in 1917. IN any event i was originally going to use the AK Air colours specifically designed for WW1 german AC but... i must be honest... i love brush painting with AK but have had little success airbrushing. I don't know what it is. I've tried thinning and not thinning ... whatever,,, so i went back to what I know which is Vallejo and picked comparable colours. Also, I have an old Badger (not to mention my airbrush - drumroll!).

246369_3aa08ff26a2742ceae78f3c54439af24~

but like i said .... alas... a blunder. When i got back I realized i was missing sprue G and one of the two D's. What the heck? How did i leave these behind? The G was ok because i have one from the DFW C.V kit... it's basically the "extras" and the props. So i could still source a prop. But D is 1/2 the plane side - wheel and struts. So to make a long story short i found another kit on-line and bought it after seeing if anyone found my sprues (an odd thing to ask friends and relatives). Expensive mistake given WnW no longer exists. Somewhere on the whistler mountain slopes there might be a couple lonely sprues hiding in the snow...

• 1 month later...

thanks for info on the ww1 forum. I've been meaning to check it out. 

Well, the spring thaw did not reveal any sprues... so now I'm the proud owner of two Rumpler kits (or the "Rumpster" as my one daughter calls it). Now I will have two incomplete boxes. Since having two builds of the same large-scale plane is domestically not going to be acceptable (I'm in big enough trouble as it is), if anyone wants any Rumpler bits I'll have a few to spare !!

246369_84891730779e466c902dfff1109a9fd1~