More 109 Questions - Metal Stab vs. Wooden Stab...and What About the Rudder...How would I know?

Hey all,

I think I got a little "creative" with the 82 camouflage pattern and I'd like to know if this is a "possible" scheme for an Erla 109G-10 or not?  I'm thinking I need to start over and tone the wavy lines down a lot.  Note that the paint job isn't complete...I wanted to get some input before I go out in left field any further.  I'm also not sure I really like the RLM76 or the 82 colors.  Again, they're Vallejo air and I'm thinking the 76 looks more like 65 and the 82 resembles 81 (of which I've heard there are many iterations).  What say you?

BwWdTrQ.jpg

l1yHGcd.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

Well, I solved the issue....I stripped all the acrylic paint off the model using isopropyl alcohol and it's back on the stand as a clean slate.  I've had enough with the acrylic paints and order several MRP lacquer-based paints (and two Mr. Color RLM76 because SB is out of MRP RLM76) and we'll start over.  I don't know if it's my Paasche H airbrush that's the culprit (it's decades old) or if it's me (I'm decades old too) but the H just seems to splatter acrylic paint all around the area in little spits.  I have an Iwata Eclipse with the gravity feed cup and I think I may break that out and see if it performs any better.  I'm also wondering if the air pressure for a siphon feed needs to be higher than recommended because of the fact that it's a siphon feed.... didn't make any difference anyway...still spattered paint in spite of several different combinations of air pressure and thinner:paint.

15 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I have an Iwata Eclipse with the gravity feed cup and I think I may break that out and see if it performs any better. 

Well yeaaah . I have an old siphon feed too (my first) but it just sits and looks at me collecting dust.  :blink:

Have fun with your next attempt.

When I use Vallejo Air, I add thinner, Liquitex Flow Aid, and Liquitex Slow Dri to what probably amounts to 50% paint and 50% others in an effort to slow down the "tip dry". I've also airbrushed those down to about 10 psi. And that's with a gravity feed airbrush.

I have been using MRP for a couple of projects and I like it because I can pour it into the airbrush cup and when I'm done, I can pour it back into the bottle. :D I don't have to be careful about how much I mix and end up throwing out.