RAF P-40B II Gun Sights

ade rowlands

Looking for something suitable for the Great Wall kit. I’d like to do an RAF version from the kit and there isn’t a sight included that I can see (not sure if the AVG used the floor mounted one). I cant seem to find an aftermarket Barr & Stroud MK. II with the Round Reflector Glass, only the later squared off version, however the actual body of the sight looks to be the same to me in both versions, would it be as simple as using one from a Tamiya Spitfire or the like and replace the Square Reflector Glass with a punched out Circle of acetate? 

• LSP_K2 changed the title to RAF P-40B II Gun Sights
1 hour ago, quang said:

A gunsight from an early Spitfire or Hurricane would suit perfectly although it’s not too taxing to build your own from scratch.

Some useful info HERE.

HTH

Quang

Funnily enough I did come across that thread. I also recall you using a sight from a Fly Hurricane in your build. My Tomahawk is a long way down the build pile so maybe someone will release something appropriate especially with the Kotare Spitfire nearing release. 

I used the Fly Hurricane gunsight as an easy/lazy way out but I can assure than you can do a better job building it from scratch now that you have the detailed photos on the britmodeller thread.

3 minutes ago, quang said:

I used the Fly Hurricane gunsight as an easy/lazy way out but I can assure than you can do a better job building it from scratch now that you have the detailed photos on the britmodeller thread.

Oh you far overestimate what I am capable of. Maybe it's time to buy a 3D printer.

1 hour ago, ade rowlands said:

I’m seeing an oblong shape

on AVG Curtiss, the rectangular reflector glass was hanged behind the armor glass,

so the illuminator could be on the floor as P40 up to C or hanged below the instrument panel as on P36

2 hours ago, waroff said:

on AVG Curtiss, the rectangular reflector glass was hanged behind the armor glass,

so the illuminator could be on the floor as P40 up to C or hanged below the instrument panel as on P36

So its a piece of reflector glass hanging behind the armoured glass? Thanks.

My kit is still somewhere on the South China Sea so I cant check to verify but looking at the sprues online and also the instructions there doesn’t appear to be any mention of any gun sight of any type included in the kit apart from the Ring and Bead. Hmm. 

Edited by ade rowlands

2 hours ago, quang said:

As I remember it, there’s no floor illuminator in the GWH kit… but it’s present in the 1/48 Airfix Tomahawk II B. :P

Well if I have to source a gun sight I’m going to stick to sourcing one for an RAF Tomahawk then.