Kit Disassemby Methods??

3 hours ago, rafju said:

In case of glueing with conventional plastic glue (cement), you can try to dip parts ( for a night or more) what is called in french "Essence F" . Sorry don't know for equvalent in english.

Hope this helps.

Actually this is charcoal-based lighter fuel also known as low-grade kerosene.

Essence F (France)

A.K.A. lighter fluid (UK/USA)

A.K.A. essence à nettoyer / wasbenzine (Belgium)

A,K.A. naphtaline /naphta (old-timers)

It’s the mildest solvant I ever tried. Perfect as a degreasant. Harmless to polystyrene and also ineffective on styrene-bonded joints as far as I know.

Edited by quang

On 10/14/2022 at 6:26 AM, Out2gtcha said:

I sincerely wish they would make a CA debonder that did not melt plastic, but there is not much else that I know of that melts CA other than Acetone. Even full on paint stripping lacquer doesn't really do much to ethyl cyanoacrylate. 

They do, so I was surprised at what the one you used did to plastic.  I use Great Planes Pro CA Debonder on plastic all the time with no issues whatsoever.  It does nothing to the plastic, but will readily dissolve CA glue, even if it's been on the model for a long time.  The bottle doesn't indicate what's in it, but I'm certain that it has no acetone.  It does, however eat paint and decals, so you can only use it on bare plastic.

33PgCn.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 1:55 PM, Confusionreigns178 said:

As I'm sure folks know, you can buy CA Debonder. Is there no equivalent glue-dissolver for other types of glue? 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Solvent glues for polystyrene actually melt the plastic and fuse it together.  If you use them really thoroughly, you can make two parts into one, so the original seam can't be recovered.  There's nothing to "dissolve", because the glue does not remain in the seam - it flashes off leaving re-solidified plastic behind.  This is totally different than CA (or wood glues for that matter), which remains as a separate material in the joint between parts.  Tamiya Extra-Thin works the same way that solvent cement for PVC pipe works.