Mustang experts - RAF Mustang IV early

Hi all,

any Mustang experts know if the RAF operated the early version of the P-51D without the tail fillet ? I've seen a photo of one that appears to be under evaluation at Boscombe Down (TK589 serial number) and a drawing on Wings Palette on a 126 Squadron mustang IV (5J-X) but can't find any other reference or images at all to back this up, every photo or reference drawing shows aircraft with the tail fillet. I've got the Revell early version and would like to build it in anything other than US markings for some variety on my shelf but think I may have picked up the wrong version ?   

Any info would be gratefully received - otherwise it will become a work of fiction. To be honest nobody see's my builds so it would make little difference but if possible I would like to try to replicate a real aircraft. 

thanks

neil

Hey, Neil

Why not do TK589 then, does it matter that it was used for evaluation purposes? I mean, it was a real machine that existed on this earthly plane, right? Here's some pics, there's even some super cool weathering going on, if that's something that floats your boat.

rMu9nv8.jpg

7K8c4mt.jpg

5fFiKVS.jpg

This one of TK589 parked is clearly earlier in its life, as the original s/n on the lower rear fuselage hadn't chipped off yet (as can be seen in the pix above), not to mention the extensive exhaust staining is not present here.

mnFn8tq.jpg

I had a look thru my files, this was the only fillet-less bubbletop Pony in RAF markings I could find, unfortunately. All the other RAF P-51's in my archive include a DFF, maybe someone will chime in soon with another option.

Good luck!

- Thomaz

Ideally you need to tie up US tail numbers with RAF serials, if such a thing can be done. D5s were 44-13253 to 14052. RAF serials were FR410, KH641-KH670 &KM493-KM743 (D, ie mk IV); KH671-KH870 & KM100-KM492 (K, ie Mk IVa). Plus TK586/589.

Source The Mustang Story, Ken Delve.

that Swedish bird looks tempting but Thomaz you have come up trumps !!!  I couldn't find those pictures when I searched and I agree, this is the plane to build, the panel variation and weather will be enjoyable to replicate. Thanks all, much appreciated. I know very little about the mustang, looking forward to learning more as I build and research.

thanks

neil

There are 2 Technical Orders published by the military that deal with the addition of the "dorsal fin" on the Mustang. The first is T.O. No. 01-60JE-8 dated 14-Aug-1944 that relates specifically to the P-51D. The second, T.O. No. 01-60JD-43, dated 20-Dec-1944 applies to the P-51B and P-51C. Both are titled the same - "North American - Installation of Dorsal Fin and Reverse Rudder Boost Tab".

The introductory paragraph runs as follows:

"To correct the tendency, existing when certain maneuvers are performed, for P-51D airplanes to assume a high angle of yaw which may result in overloading the horizontal stabilizer, a dorsal fin will be installed. In conjunction with this, the rudder trim tab will be converted to a reverse rudder boost tab in order that the forces required to operate the rudder will increase in proportion to the rudder throw and thus decrease the tendency for the pilot to inadvertently overcontrol. Model P-51D airplanes, AF Nos. 44-13253 to 44-13902 inclusive will be reworked in accordance with the instructions contained in paragraph 2. Model P-51D airplane, AF No. 44-13903 and subsequent, will be modified by the contractor prior to delivery."

This paragraph is the same in the P-51B/C T.O., with the following differences in AF Serial No's:

P-51B: 

43-12093 to 43-12492 inclusive

43-6313 to 43-7202 inclusive

42-106429 to 42-106538 inclusive

42-106541 to 42-106978 inclusive

43-24752 to 43-24901 inclusive

P-51C:

42-102979 to 42-103978 inclusive

43-24902 to 43-25251 inclusive

Another obvious difference between the B/C version and the D-model document is the disclaimer "The work directed herein will be accomplished as soon as possible and not later than the next 100-hour inspection period by service activities with the aid of base maintenance facilities." NAA wasn't churning out early model P-51s at this time, so all mods would have been done in the field for any operational B/C's

Ester