Hasegawa Fieseler Fi156 Storch, 1/32

Sepp

Ahoy!

My Colonial Viper isn't yet finished, but I'm waiting for decal paper and I think I need to keep the mojo going. This post is really just to set out my stall for my next intended build, and will hopefully prod me into getting a move on with it before the ground attack group build starts; I'd really like to get involved with that, and don't want two on the go at the same time. This will be another what-if subject; those not inclined to entertain such heresy should look away now :)

Obligatory box shot:

EprRld.jpg

Aiming point: captured Fi156-C in service with 390 Sqn RAF late 1944.  This squadron, in the alt. history to which my earlier P-51 belongs, goes on to become 7e Escadrille (later Escadron), Forces Armées Bretonnes.

m8PNLa.jpg

I still have several decisions to make, including whether or not to include the serial number, whether to show the squadron codes in grey (which I like) or dull red, whether to extend the yellow all the way back to the tail (although I like the half-and-half-look) and most importantly whether to do the build clean, as a warbird, or dirty it up a bit as if in service. I'm not sure I'm "there" yet, we'll see.

Back soon...ish.

Sepp

Edited by Sepp

• 2 weeks later...

And we're off!

Not much to show, other than I have actually set scalpel to plastic... I'm waiting for various paints to arrive - the first one I'll need is RLM02 and, of course, it seems it'll be the last to turn up so I've started out of sequence. Again.

v7lLlT.jpg

The kit's Argus engine is quite nice, but is missing all sorts of components. For the most part, this is not a problem as it will all be hidden when mounted in the fuselage, but some - such as the HT lead that should run between the Bosch units that sit each side of the front of the engine (on the left of this pic) and the inlet air balance pipe which should run between the middle cyclinders each side (hence why the cylinder banks are arranged as two pairs with a larger gap in the middle) - are visible through the various orifices and need to be added.

l4yTBW.jpg

Poor little thing has no idea what's about to happen to it :)

4YgZWZ.jpg

HT horseshoe lead added, along with the lifting rings, both made with solder of various diameters.  It's highly likely that I'll have to tear the rings off to get the engine to fit in the fuselage, but it's all good practice!  Gap between ignition frames and Bosch units fixed both sides.  Stubs removed and replaced with holes to receive the leads - unfortunately, they are still too high, so I'll convert them into slots. The leads you see below the engine have to be mounted on the ignition frame and will cover the gaffe... hopefully!

Another thing the kit has not reproduced well, is the shape of the rocker covers.  They're depicted (and I've painted them) as simple caps, but they should be wedge shaped and extend almost to the exhaust/inlet ports.  I'll repaint them later.

All for now,

Sepp, out.

Edited by Sepp

Ahoy!

Another small update:

Plug leads and "piggy back" ignition lead channel on.  The front pair each side go to the magnetos, the aft pair go... well, I have no idea, on the real thing.  I'm going to lead one each side to the starter, and the other to the firewall, after all, something has to run to the switch!

ow78pC.jpg

After paint and a quick trim at the front (I didn't like the silver ignition frame, so it's all black now):

Iy4RtJ.jpg

Next up for the engine will be to make the oil filter housings that are visible through the front scoop, then (after I've checked to see if there'll be room for them once everything is attached to the firewall) the air hoses for the mixture system that mount to the 'pin' on the rear of the engine - but before all that, the RLM02 has arrived, so I'm going to switch to the engine bearers, cowling and anything else that needs to be that colour.

First up, the cowling.  I've seen cowlings with and without reinforcement strips, and with and without welded seams. Mine's going to have the strips.  The kit hints at them, but they're really quite noticable.  The kit's raised joint between front and underside panels has been scribed and light fastener detail added. Again, I've seen cowlings with mahoosive bolts, and some with the fasteners completely invisible. Oh, and I opened up the scoop on the side panel, just in case the engine goes south and I decide to hide it all :P

vCtck9.jpg

Hopefully you can make out the difference between original (left) and thinned (right)

POyv4X.jpgHvyDn5.jpg

I'm also experimenting with making seat cushions from Milliput, as the kit's offerings look more like a sheet of galvanised steel plate.  More on that later.

That's all for now, updates might be slow for a few days, as my PC is running slower than an asthmatic octagenarian in the last mile of a Marathon - also, I've a few things on this week that might keep me away from the bench.

Cheers!

Sepp