Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel

jimbo

Jimbo, your build is great. But I especially want to comment on the green canvas parts, which have a depth that for me really captures the spirit of the plane and the era. Very well done. I am truly impressed.

Hey Piet;

Thanks so much for the kind words! I like the effect I achieved as well, that's the dry-brushing that made it "pop". I think you'll like the look of the underside as well, some weathering has really transformed it from a plain blank of color to one with some subtle highlights. I spent some time rigging last night, and have a wee bit more to do, so more pics will come later...

Best regards;

Jimbo

OK Gang;

I've made a bit more progress, and it's time to let it all hang out and see what your opinions are. Please be brutal and honest; I spent a good few hours rigging with .010" (.25mm) stainless wire from Detail Associates; I like it because it is sold in straight lengths, and was simple to cut and fit and glue in place. Frankly, my first thoughts were "this stuff is WAY too fat"... But it's sort of growing on me; looking through the galleries and seeing some other rigging jobs that use .015" (.38mm) or .020" (.50mm), it might be acceptable. At first, with it unpainted, it was too shiny and reflective, which accentuated it's appearance. So, I brushed it with a flat light gray, and it's still too bright (to me) but looks better. Some black weathering powder will tone it down even more. So, here are some photos, what do you all think? It's still not even close to scale, more like 1/3 of an inch, or a centimeter... Hrruuuummmmpphh.....

Jimbo

post-4-1139714758.jpg

A close-up of the wings. I'm not done with weathering yet, and there are still some spots that haven't been rigged yet, but I figured I'd toss it out to the peanut gallery to get your thoughts...

post-4-1139715106.jpg

I plan on giving the cowl and engine surround the silver prismacolor pencil treatment, and more chalks and powders for the exhaust, etc... Wheels, engine, prop, guns and cowl are posed and not yet glued, so they may appear a bit off. Last one for the night...

Thanks for looking, and be honest, tell me if it s**ks...

Jimbo

post-4-1139715402.jpg

Mate you'd have to be :mellow: if you thought it sucked. Its simply awesome. I've got one in the stash and have filed away very carefully the tip on the roundrels. Thanks for the tip but t looked like you made a top save anyway. I tend not to scrutinize the details in many kits but look overall and get a feel for them..to see if it does anything for me. I love this build.

Great idea on the rigging...gah! A job I hate. How cool to have straight lengths that one just cuts to size. That would almost make doing it fun instead of a messy fiddly job. i've got a ship that it'll work great for as well. Are 'detail associates' a direct site or order through an rolls/Meteor type arrangement.

Top build mate and I've got all your pics as refs to look at for my build. Like Jay said top photos.

Thanks for posting...other than the touch ups you mentioned were left to do whats the next kit for you?

cheers Matty :lol:

Its great! I will have to build one of these again.

There is one bit of missing rigging between the cabane struts crossing over the MGs, or it could be my glasses.

Can you post a link to your rigging supplier?

Cheers

Dave

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Jimbo;

I think it looks really cool mate. You've done a great job on it!!

I wouldnt personally go too wild with the prismacolour pencil as there wasnt a great deal of chipping with these.Some subtle chips around the points where it would have been removed, but little else.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Great idea on the rigging...gah! A job I hate. How cool to have straight lengths that one just cuts to size. That would almost make doing it fun instead of a messy fiddly job. i've got a ship that it'll work great for as well. Are 'detail associates' a direct site or order through an rolls/Meteor type arrangement.

Top build mate and I've got all your pics as refs to look at for my build. Like Jay said top photos.

Thanks for posting...other than the touch ups you mentioned were left to do whats the next kit for you?

cheers Matty :D

Hi Matty;

Wow, thanks so much for your kind words; it means a great deal to me. I think I have come around, and am really quite pleased; I'm being perhaps overly critical.

As for the rigging wire, as I mentioned it's a product by Detail Associates; they are more known for producing model railroad detail parts, but they do have a line of model-building supplies such as this wire, brass wire, flat brass stock, and so forth. They are in California, don't have a website :) but are distributed through Walthers, the large model RxR supplier here in the states. Here's a link to the Walther's info page for DA:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/manuinfo/v229

I got this product, #3504 .012" Stanless Steel wire, at my LHS (local hobby shop). And I misquoted the size last night as .010". It comes packaged as (Qty. 10)- 12" lengths for 2.50 US.

If anyone has any trouble getting such a product, I'd be happy to get it for you and ship it abroad. It did make the rigging job pretty easy; granted there is a lot of cut-and-fit, especially when my measuring dividers wouldn't fit into tight spaces, but it's just part of the process.

Indeed, there's still a bit of work to do with this model, but with 16" of freshly fallen snow outside, and the winter Olympics on the telly, I can't think of a better Sunday! :D :D :D And I'm already underway with the next project, a Roden Fokker DR I, with Eduard upgrades, and EagleCals EC#94, to do it up as the Baron's last ship, 425/17, the ubiquitous Red Baron! I'll start posting some of that build in the next few days, but I'm afraid I won't come even close to Tim Carrol's outstanding job on his 477/17.

Thanks again Matt;

Jimbo

There is one bit of missing rigging between the cabane struts crossing over the MGs, or it could be my glasses.

Thanks Dave! And no, your vision is quite correct, I have not yet completed the rigging; I figured I'd get some considered opinions before proceeding. I still need to do the bits you mentioned, as well as some more at the tail end.

See my reply to Matty for info re: Detail Associates.

Regards;

Jimbo

I wouldnt personally go too wild with the prismacolour pencil as there wasnt a great deal of chipping with these.Some subtle chips around the points where it would have been removed, but little else.

And thanks to you, also Jay, and Ole as well; you guys are definitely making me feel pretty good about this one! I will definitely heed your good advice, and go with "less is more" for the chipping effect; don't want to over-do it at this point. I am pretty proud of this build, considering I've been 'away' for so long. I feel like I'm home here, to be sure...

Many, many thanks everyone! I hope to finish her up today, and I'll post some final shots later.

Best regards all;

Jimbo