Hobbycraft Sopwith Camel

jimbo

Hi all;

Well, here are some photos of my re-entry into the hobby, the Hobbycraft 1/32 Sopwith Camel Clerget. I have the cockpit ready. Take this all with a grain of salt; I am not going too crazy. I don't have a lot of reference material, just some borrowed books and magazines and some stuff off the web. I add bits of wire and styrene, etc, for detailing.

Jimbo

post-4-1137988857.jpg

The left side. I made a throttle quadrant from some brass strip and styrene rod; the seat uses the kit's "wicker" decals. I used Waldron belt buckles, which I'm sure are wrong, but didn't have anything else on hand...

post-4-1137989548.jpg

A shot of the cockpit assembly temporarily installed in the fuselage. I added styrene strip 'ribs' to the inside of the fuselage. The wing center section makes up the cockpit floor.

post-4-1137989974.jpg

The fuselage from the other direction. Note the filled sinkmarks in the fuselage. I drilled out the fuel filler cap locations, backed them up with styrene sheet, and added styrene discs for caps. The wing is taped to the fuselage for this mock-up.

post-4-1137990178.jpg

The motor and prop. I didn't worry about the pushrods not being long enough as they won't be too visible behind the cowling. Plus, I have no idea if the prop should exhibit 'laminations', so I toned them down with dry-brushing of the darker color (I used Testor's Model Master Wood and Leather). Just having fun... That's all for tonight.

Hi Gene; thanks so much! This one has been fun, for sure. Some fussy fit problems, but nothing too serious. Plus, without too much knowledge of the interior layout, I'm flying blind, so to speak, but as long as it has detail and 'visual texture' then I'm happy...

To be continued...

Jimbo

post-4-1137990570.jpg

Ditto what Gene and Tim said, great effort, great detail, look forward to it's progress. Cheers Jimbo. Jim

PS-Hah Ha I see that Jimbo's are now starting to become more prolific, bout bloody time! sheesh at last we can stand up and be counted against the Chris's, there everywhere! :D Might have to make Jamie an honourary Jimbo too, just in case. :D

Crikey jimbo...talk about getting back in the saddle. Yeah...like Lance Armstrong would forget in a hurry as well

fantastic job mate. The prop is great... any tips on how you did this.

The whole build is coming together really nicely. almost beyond belief that this is a $15 retail kit in Aus. Making a show model out of it. Kepp up the great work and piccies

cheers Matt

Thanks everyone;

Jim, there is definitely safety in numbers! We'll have to work on Jamie. Get us a squadron going.

Matt, I borrowed the March '05 issue of FineScale Modeler, which has an article about detailing a Fokker DVII. In that article the author suggested how to get the parallel lines on the prop for painting laminations. I first brush-painted the prop the base Wood color. Then I placed the prop on a flat surface, ran a pencil around it, raised the prop with a sheet of styrene, ran the pencil around it, and so on. This marks the prop, and then I brush-painted the darker color. Then I dry-brushed several times with the darker color to blend and darken it. I did this mostly to see if I could actually pull it off, which I think I did OK. Like I said, Sopwith props may not have exhibited laminations, but I wanted to try. The hub was brush painted dark gray and dry-brushed with light gray and steel.

More to come, stay tuned!

Cheers all;

Jimbo

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Jimbo;

Very nice. I like this and I also like to see the WWI subjects. I have seen a Camel prop up close and personal as Tony Cooper ( I made a model of the Spitfire he flew on D-Day ) has one in his living room. I rekon you have it just about right.

A simpler way to make the grain on props is to use oil paints. No need to wear grooves in the surface, simply use brush strokes.

Cheers mate,

Jay