1/35 Kittyhawk MH-60s

Tanker459

Received the above kit today here in Australia from a Hobby Shop in Melbourne seems first shop to have them

The kit came in somewhat of a small but large box,nothing like the Academy kit boxing,upon opening (nicely engraved) there was a mass of parts, and proceeded to  look through them to see what was there - 2 sets of clear parts- 2 cabin interiors,then turned my attention to the instructions not knowing which was up or down 2/3 of the instruction sheet are for building the 1/35 MH-60L version and the parts are in the kit to build it

Whats up Kittyhawk

Greg

On 10/15/2020 at 9:36 AM, LSP_Mike said:

Sounds like sloppy QC to me. The sort of thing they should have ironed out long ago.

I want one of their kits, but this is very off-puting.

They also had some issues with the SH-60F instructions.   In a couple of steps, the arrows showing where the parts were there, but the underlying drawing of the parts were missing.  Correction pages were made available, so it’s a bit surprising that the -60S kit, which came out last, has even worse instruction issues.

As nice and beautifully detailed as they are, I would rate the Blackhawk/Seahawk kits as a bit frustrating.  If you want to do one kit, I’d recommend the HH-60G kit is it’s pretty correct out of the box.

Edited by Dave Williams

8 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Sounds like sloppy QC to me. The sort of thing they should have ironed out long ago.

I want one of their kits, but this is very off-puting.

Ahhh, the joy of Kittyhawk.  Not exactly a QC all star. 

56 minutes ago, mambodan72 said:

Thanks for the update,  a Damn shame Greg, i saw the review on Flory Models and almost bought it today

Not sure I get why, if you were going to buy this kit after seeing the Flory Models video, what Greg said about the instructions would change your mind on buying the kit?  Yes, the instructions are messed up, but you can download the corrected pages.  It’s a minor annoyance, but easily fixed, and nothing to do with the plastic in the box, or how it builds up.  In the scheme of bad QC that really affects the kit, it’s pretty low impact.

To be realistic, the chances of someone else coming out with a large scale Seahawk is about zero, so it’s pretty much this, or do without.  For the Nighthawk, there is the option of the Academy kit, but unless you’re happy with an older, simpler, and much, much less detailed kit, again it’s the KH kit or do without.  This isn’t to excuse KH’s QC issues, but it is what it is, and most people who want kits of these aircraft in large scale will push through the instruction issues.

This is typical Kitty Hawk, I refuse to buy anything with the kitty hawk name on it. The worst QC of any brand! And their customer service is just as horrible!

If anybody needs parts from the HH-60 I've got the whole kit minus the two fuselage halves. Let it go cheap it's an unbuildable kit.

DJ

Edited by rmadfire1

45 minutes ago, rmadfire1 said:

This is typical Kitty Hawk, I refuse to buy anything with the kitty hawk name on it. The worst QC of any brand! And their customer service is just as horrible!

If anybody needs parts from the HH-60 I've got the whole kit minus the two fuselage halves. Let it go cheap it's an unbuildable kit.

DJ

I need the lower gear covers G35 and G36, and H-bar part G9 from the HH-60 kit, if you’re parting it out.  Or buy the whole G sprue with the HH-60G specific parts.

Edited by Dave Williams

As Dave mentioned, like it or not, I don't see anyone else doing this kit in 35th so it's pretty much a choice of take it or leave it. 

I'm still waiting for them to release the Army Lima version since that used to be "my ride" at one point in time.   Just bitter cause I'm facing having to restore all 10,000 rivets on the thing.   No excuse for covering the model in those recessed "divots" in this large of a scale.  Thanks to Mr. Fleischmann's amazing build, I've got some inspiration but I shouldn't have to spend that much time and money to get the model to an acceptable standard.  

I have no doubt that whenever KH gets around to releasing the 35th UH-1D/H (which I have been not-so patiently waiting for since they announced it like 4 years ago), they will repeat the same mistake  

On 10/16/2020 at 5:17 PM, rmadfire1 said:

DJ

Hey DJ,

heard you had warped fuselage halves. That stinks. 
wish they had replaced those for you as my kit is going together just fine

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/82326-hh-60g-pavehawk-kitty-hawk-135/

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

7 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

I want an SH 60B. Any issues there?

There is an issue with folding the main rotor blades that requires some work to correct on all three of the naval kits as described near the bottom of the Cybermodeler article.  If you don’t intend to fold the rotor, it’s not a problem

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/kh/kit_kh_50009.shtml

There are a couple of things missing if your looking to do a specific configuration, like the lower disco light mount (not always fitted) and the early port side stub weapon pylon (the kit just has the later pylon that’s more forward mounted with the long fairing that goes the length of cabin on the port side), but the rest is OK.  Interior looks pretty good for a Seahawk.

Fuselage warping shouldn’t be a problem with the naval kits.  In the Blackhawk/Pavehawk kits, the one piece fuselages were longer than the box, so they were packed in the box diagonally with the tails crossed over each other, and the box was barely tall enough for all that was in it.  On the Seahawk/Oceanhawk kits, the tail is separate, so that’s not an issue.  The Knighthawk kit uses the long single piece fuselage from the Blackhawk/Pavehawk, but they made the box taller so it’s roomier.