P-47 Thunderbolt D-10, Rozzie Deth/Boche Buster

Dpgsbody55

This is a model I started back in 2016, but which started to drive me nuts, so it went to reside on my shelf of doom, together with a Trumpy P-51B.  The model represents a P-47D-10RE Rozzie Deth/Boche Buster flown by Lt. Fred Christensen of 62nd Fighter Squadron of the 56th Fighter Group of the USAAF Eighth Air Force based at Halesworth in March 1944.  Christensen scored 10.5 of his eventual 21.5 kills on this aircraft.  As this is a D-10, it is not fitted with underwing pylons which didn't come into play until the D-15 with it's strengthened wing spar, and it also fitted with the 12ft 2in Curtiss Electric prop.  The kit offers other  propellers as well, but these were not fitted on this plane.  Propeller development on the P-47 started with the D-22 Razorback which was fitted with a more powerful P&W R-2800 and a 13ft prop of either Curtiss Electric of Hamilton Standard manufacture, and each had different blade profiles.  Interestingly, the plane has USAAF cockades under both wings, and the non standard one is much larger than normal.  This seems to be common practice with 56th FG machines.

The model was built with Barracuda wheels and Eduard photo etch was added to the engine, cockpit and exterior.  Spark plug wires were also added made up from 0.3mm copper wire, and the canopy was made to slide, mostly so it doesn't fall off when I pick it up then stand on it. :huh:  I also added extra details to the area behind the engine, as well as cutting the fuselage panels away to show this and the supercharger ducting at the rear.

ZyXzGZ.jpg

jf9Cve.jpg

h8EUlx.jpg

WtMdZK.jpg

NOOcQf.jpg

HL7gCS.jpg

aKflY3.jpg

gbXqMD.jpg

JQ5u1o.jpg

HpFbET.jpg

ZEkIG7.jpg

This was a sometimes frustrating build, but one I'm glad to have completed in the end.  I've since found out that there are a number of errors in it, but I'm not about to build another unless I find a much better kit than this.  Some of these errors are in the shape and others are mine, such as the engine bulkhead above, which should be natural metal.  A full description of the build and more pictures can be found in the Works in Progress forum, the link to which is below.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/85113-p-47-d-thunderbolt-by-trumpeter/

Cheers,

Michael