Barber 52, A Gothic Serpent AH-6J

Uncarina

I've started the Kitty Hawk 1/35 AH-6J, modeling it as Barber 52, the only FLIR-equipped Little Bird (90-25362) that played an active role in Operation Gothic Serpent, Mogadishu Somalia. I'm using the Werner's Wings upgrade set which provides the correct cyclics, the avionix boxes behind the pilot seats, the electrical boxes behind the cockpit bulkhead, ammo chutes, and the sail antenna. I'm also using the Werner's Wings FLIR set and downturned exhaust. I've ordered rivets from Archer's Transfers, and have loaded up on black paint!

The kit is a challenge, with abundant flash on most parts, parts that are supposed to be inserted in missing holes, omissions and mistakes in the instructions. However, the fit is great overall and I'm having fun.

dzJfpNZ.jpg

01MJUpu.jpg

bFd0N6O.jpg

undefinedOKEvvoz.jpg

VDX9J9V.jpg

z9EoACs.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Great subject, I’ll be following this one for sure.  Didn’t know Werner released the “sugar scoop” IR suppressor.   If you get a chance, I’d love to see a picture of it.    Impressed by the quality of the resin, Floyd does some nice work.   

I've managed to finish and paint most of the interior. I added outer panels to the weapons pylons, first aid kits, and details to the left collective since Kitty Hawk didn't add them. Otherwise, I painted with Tamiya Rubber Black, added a wash mix of black oils and Mig pastel pigment, and a drybrush with dark grey paint. Looking forward to getting the fuselage finished!

WXJcWLh.jpg

UXDy3fq.jpg

b5VBcku.jpg

swHV6H1.jpg

14AM39M.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina