1/32 Special Hobby P-36

ChrisS

And the seat.

Besides the little bits of plumbing and decals for plackards and dials, this is the OOB pit with the kit's PE fret. The silver is old testors enamal from a rattlecan (could not even tell you what the number is the can is so old), and all weathering is oil washes in Umber and some silver Prismacolor pencil here and there. All other colors are Tamiya or Polyscale acrylics.

Not much to tell really, but Derek did ask for detail :lol:

post-4-1137013958.jpg

Mated the fuselage halves, and it was no picnic I can tell you that.

With the almost complete absence of mating guides like alignment pins, or locator rails, method for assembly of the fuselage and cockpit is simply beyond my ability to comprehend easily.

I did it in stages.

First I mated the forward upper join (directly in front of the gunsight) as I knew this would be a focal point and require delicate shaping and sanding so I wanted the least amount of errors here. Once that was done I moved to the top of the spine (directly aft and above the seat). After having joined the forward fuse, the spine was misaligned slightly.

Well, by the time I got down the spine there were considerable conflicting forces, and small steps with accelerator were required. I am sure that I could have done better, but even after lots of test fitting and mating surface sanding and prep, each step "moved" the erors along until I was left with a decent gap and alighment error in the tail. The good news is that I'll be able to attack that with neaderthal forces without risking damage to the cockpit area.

we...shall...see...

post-4-1137098510.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

I hope that gunsight doesnt get damaged at all mate, it is looking superb!

Sounds like alot of fun with the fuselage, I definitely dont envy you that one. :lol:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Bill may not be able to help much as his build is of the Cutting Edge AM set for the Trumpeter P40B. The build I posted as a reference in my first post in my build makes mention that he recommends putting the wings on before the cowl due to fit problems. He actually had the cowl on and removed it to get the wings on. He wasn't real specific about what the problems were, but the way it's engineered it looks like it doesn't matter which goes first, absent the fit problems, that is.

I'm going to tackle the fuse this weekend. I've put a couple strips of plastic card in to help in alignment and plan to tape the forward area and work from the tail forward.