Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

No, not me. I think I already know what I really need to regarding the guards themselves. Actually, the only question I ever had (that I can recall), was how do the strips connect one section to another. I've never seen a photo or drawing of the strips themselves.

Do you mean the narrow strips of the side mud guards? If so: it is welded by half with to the following section to cover the gap between the sections. 
I can look for a drawing and send you by email.
Just let me know.

31 minutes ago, N.H.71 said:

Do you mean the narrow strips of the side mud guards? If so: it is welded by half with to the following section to cover the gap between the sections. 
I can look for a drawing and send you by email.
Just let me know.

Yes, I'd like that very much, thanks. PM on the way.

• 3 months later...

Hi Kevin

this is one construction site I‘m still undecided how I will solve it.

This are workable axis of the idler wheels to freely adjust the track. I made them workable as I re-worked the whole track guiding teeth.

E06-A6-C72-8-DF0-413-E-8-CF3-2254570-B76

Last thing I was working on was the radio rack. The front panels were cut out and housings were build. Some more details were added and now it’s time to re-create the rack. 
A4468-C8-F-5213-41-A6-9503-55-E07-C4718-

Another issue were the lubrication lines. They are completely wrong in Trumpeters kit, as they were attached to the lower hulls side walls. I just show the top ends. 
87-A3-A793-90-A0-4017-8620-094-C49354192

Last but not least some pics of the

engine 
9443-E18-E-CD08-4-E36-9-DC1-2571682560-E

D867-AA84-E899-4336-83-A0-C143-F5-F943-D

50637301-37-BB-469-A-B05-B-767-E45-C8003

B24-FC041-844-F-4899-BA57-CB2-F09678-A4-

But I think you‘d like to see more outside pictures…I‘ll have to check whether I have some to upload or if I will build to current status and get you some pics especially showing the outside.

Cheers,

Nils

8 hours ago, N.H.71 said:

Hola Kevin

Este es un sitio de construcción. Todavía estoy indeciso sobre cómo lo resolveré.

Este es un eje viable de las ruedas locas para ajustar libremente la pista. Los hice viables mientras reelaboraba todos los dientes de guía de la pista.

E06-A6-C72-8-DF0-413-E-8-CF3-2254570-B76

Lo último en lo que estuve trabajando fue en el soporte de la radio. Se cortaron los paneles frontales y se construyeron las carcasas. Se agregaron algunos detalles más y ahora es el momento de volver a crear el bastidor. 
A4468-C8-F-5213-41-A6-9503-55-E07-C4718-

Otro problema fueron las líneas de lubricación. Están completamente equivocados en el kit de Trumpeters, ya que estaban unidos a las paredes laterales de los cascos inferiores. Solo muestro los extremos superiores. 
87-A3-A793-90-A0-4017-8620-094-C49354192

Por último, pero no menos importante, algunas fotos del

motor 
9443-E18-E-CD08-4-E36-9-DC1-2571682560-E

D867-AA84-E899-4336-83-A0-C143-F5-F943-D

50637301-37-BB-469-A-B05-B-767-E45-C8003

B24-FC041-844-F-4899-BA57-CB2-F09678-A4-

Pero creo que le gustaría ver más imágenes del exterior ... Tendré que comprobar si tengo algunas para cargar o si las construiré al estado actual y conseguiré algunas fotos que muestren especialmente el exterior.

Salud,

Nils

HI Nils. 

It's a great job you're  doing with your Jagd. The detail and finesse are great. 

I'am very happy that you share your photos about the Jagd!! They sure inspire many people. 

Thanks for that!! 

Thank you José for your words.

Another small issue is this missing corner that I scratched from styrene plate. Right in this corner that’s where the mounting pin for the commander‘s scissors telescope has to be attached from the inside. 7-FB263-E4-D6-E7-4761-AD08-A4-E9-F80-DB7

Trumpeter positioned the pin to the ring of bolts - so it wouldn’t turn with the plate - I corrected this but didn’t mount the periscope mount by now. 

27-DF3189-91-C8-4-C7-E-BC80-2828-EA7138-

For those who want to re-create ammunition correctly please note that the kits ammunition parts are a mixture of all - and far from correct. 

I think there is/are some pictures earlier showing my finished ones.

Here you can see the main difference between the two types of projectiles fired by the Jagdtiger. 
Left HE- (Sprenggranate) with detonator and the Armor piercing grenade 43 (Panzergranate 43).  
For the HE I added the missing length and cut off the pin (tracer) at the bottom whereas the groove of the detonator had to be filled and another groove as edge of the ballistic cap had to be engraved (mine turned out a bit too large). Also the point of the PzGr. was re-worked to get a round point. The painting is black for the  APCBC-HE grenade and YELLOW for the HE grenade. I‘ve never seen contemporary pics of Jagdtigers HE-rounds in field gray or olive drab. 

CA4-A5-F46-74-BD-4655-B9-A5-31-E4-E445-A

The cartridges were made from wrapped steel sheet-metal bands (wrapping cartridge) and had different propellant charges for either HE or APCBC-HE grenades. Their color was rather steel gray than brass, olive green or silver.

Cheers,

Nils

Yellow shells (projectiles) are anti-aircraft or Navy ammunition.  Page 32 of the Handbook of Enemy Ammunition No. 15, date May 24, 1945 says that HE rounds are Olive in color and is consistent with every HE round I've seen so far, including 75 and 88mm.  If you're seeing yellow 128mm projectiles, they're most likely anti-aircraft rounds.

7g5ZyDm.png

I like the details, for sure; interior or exterior, it's all good to me. Since I'm doing mine with all hatches closed (which may or not be a good idea), I've paid little attention other than adding appropriate weld seams and whatnot, at least as much as practicable anyway.

2 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I like the details, for sure; interior or exterior, it's all good to me. Since I'm doing mine with all hatches closed (which may or not be a good idea), I've paid little attention other than adding appropriate weld seams and whatnot, at least as much as practicable anyway.

The more I put into the interior of my Panther, the more I'm inclined to do what you did with both my Jagdtiger and Tiger II...leave out the damned interior. and close all the hatches.  It's a royal pain putting it in and then having to scratchbuild chunks of the vehicle that Trumpeter omitted.

48 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

The more I put into the interior of my Panther, the more I'm inclined to do what you did with both my Jagdtiger and Tiger II...leave out the damned interior. and close all the hatches.  It's a royal pain putting it in and then having to scratchbuild chunks of the vehicle that Trumpeter omitted.

By avoiding the interiors and concentrating just on the exterior stuff, I figure I can knock out one of these kits in 6 or 8 months. If I go down the rabbit hole of the interior, the same kit might take several years, and I'm quite sure I don't have that much patience. Eventually, I'd also like to add four or five more 1:16 kits to my stash, so time is of the essence.

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Yellow shells (projectiles) are anti-aircraft or Navy ammunition.  Page 32 of the Handbook of Enemy Ammunition No. 15, date May 24, 1945 says that HE rounds are Olive in color and is consistent with every HE round I've seen so far, including 75 and 88mm.  If you're seeing yellow 128mm projectiles, they're most likely anti-aircraft rounds.

7g5ZyDm.png

That’s correct, Juggernut. 
They used the 12,8cm-Sprenggranate L4,5 in the Jagdtiger. This projectile came from 128mm A.A. gun.

Quotation:

[…]Since the heavy »Jagdtiger« tank destroyers could not be used with indirect fire, the conventional 12.8 cm L / 4.5 high explosive grenade was considered sufficient.[…]

Source: „Schwere Panzer der Wehrmacht / Von der 12,8cm Flak bis zum Jagdtiger“ by Michael Fröhlich.

Source: "Heavy tanks of the Wehrmacht / From the 12.8cm Flak to the Jagdtiger" by Michael Fröhlich.

Cheers,

Nils

22 hours ago, N.H.71 said:

Kevin,

did you decide for a particular Jagdtiger you want to build??

I ask because there are some differences on the outside you want to take care of. 

Cheers, 

Nils

Not really, no. Mine will probably be just some homogeneous depiction, rather than any one specific vehicle, I'm not real sure yet. My one biggest issue, is that while I may have one clear image of one side, I seldom have a correspondingly clear image of that same vehicle from the other side.

What manner of differences are you referring to? Just curious.

Differences in amount of spare track link holders (early: 4 on each side vs. 6 on each side on mid-late production batches), positioning of track mounting cable (early: right hull side vs on engine deck for mid/late batches), one or two handles on  hatches of driver and radio operator, handle above aft hatch, position of AA machine gun mount on engine deck, 3 mounting supports 3 for repair crane on later production batches…

13 hours ago, N.H.71 said:

Differences in amount of spare track link holders (early: 4 on each side vs. 6 on each side on mid-late production batches), positioning of track mounting cable (early: right hull side vs on engine deck for mid/late batches), one or two handles on  hatches of driver and radio operator, handle above aft hatch, position of AA machine gun mount on engine deck, 3 mounting supports 3 for repair crane on later production batches…

I was actually aware of most of these, and will go by whatever photos interest me the most. 4 track hangers per side definitely, as that's all the kit provides, plus I like that look better anyway. Much of what you mention isn't included in the kit, so I'll go with what is provided, without adding much extra.