Gisbod

1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat

fantastic looking build! As far as the gloss finish, according to the book " Crommelin's Thunderbirds A History Of Air Group Twelve" the planes were waxed, which added about 5 knots of airspeed. hard to replicate in scale though, without getting that "toy look" to it. I'm really looking forward to your progress as it looks fantastic so far!!!

I like this build.  I’d rate it the best so far of the ones I’ve seen online.  I’m still progressing on my build as a Dash 3, but I like this look you’ve created with the overall blue.

Thanks,

I’ve been pressing on and to be honest I’m just about done now. A myriad of small jobs - aerial wires, clear parts on the airframe, exhaust staining etc etc takes longer than you imagine...

Couple of errors. Firstly, I messed up by attaching the starboard wing too early - before I’d done the exhaust staining... regretted that.

Secondly, the engine cowlings are numerous and tricky. They all fit nicely, albeit if everything inside is perfectly aligned, I’m not sure mine was so I had a bit of manipulating to get them on. In retrospect, I would have attached the engine and the cowling panels during the build and used the couple I was leaving off as masks for the painting. I hate gluing lots of panels after painting. That would be my top tip for future builders.

It’s been quite a complex build. Not that there’s anything wrong - just a big, complicated model that requires some thought along the build process. That said, it’s great fun and there are going to be a lot of beautiful builds of this in the future by all the super talented modellers out there. I can’t wait to see them!

I hope to take some photos tomorrow for the completed builds section.

Many thanks for looking in and adding your comments and welcome advice :)

Wingnuts Postwar DH9 up next...

Guy

On 8/18/2019 at 8:12 PM, Vynce804 said:

Hi Guy,  looking very nice!  White is always a pain to paint over dark colours,  and you have done a great job,  do you have any advice?  And which white paint did you use?  Cheers. Matt

I used Mission Models white primer over dark sea blue, works perfectly!

I’ve read the Grumman literature from back in the day, but I’ve never seen an F6F-5 photograph with blast plates of any kind over the flaps.  There are photos of Dash 5’s with rockets attached but no plates.  Anyone have any images to prove this point out?