Two Tone or Not Two Tone... That is the question...

Garage21

So Bill was kind enough to provide me with the Sopwith reference photo as an answer to a question I asked in a different section of the forum.  My question was answered, but this photo now raises a second question...

If you look at the wing rib caps vs. the spars, it's pretty clear that they are two different tones.  I don't know if this is due to using different woods or different stains, but the difference in color tone is clear.

So the question is, should I do this on my model?  My spars are dark so should I do the caps in a lighter tone?  Or an even darker tone than the spars?  I think it may look interesting, but I'd like others wo weigh in.

ribs

You make a very good point Jennings.  Now the plane in the photo is a Sopwith, but not a Camel.  So if we believe that this is either a replica or a restored original, the question is, did they fabricate and finish the wood in the Pup differently than the Camel?  It's hard for me to believe that someone would have gone to all the effort to either create this replica or restore an original and not follow historical protocol.

And either way - it does look kinda cool.

Definitely go two-tone Andy... it would look better in my opinion.  Oh and the photo is indeed of a Camel not a Pup and it is a reconstruction not an original... though I'm sure you can find examples of those online. 

Garage21: are you familiar with the Vintage Aviator?  This is Peter Jackson's company in New Zealand and they make real size, fully functioning WWI aircraft as authentically as possible, as far as I know.

There are a lot of resources at their website and it might help you in terms of getting a feel for how a WWI aircraft was really made.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz

There is also this documentary which features the Vintage Aviator and shows WWI aircraft being built: