Reveal of Germany FW190-F8

Skjohn98

I am planning on building an 190-F8 and trying to get everything I can ready before I start, its been over 15 years since I built an airplane, and it was a Tamiya 1/48 th 190.

A lot of time has passed since that last build and i hate to say it but I don't remember much of the details.

I have went thru the instructions and noted that some of the paint call outs (Revell paints) call for mixing some of the paints to get the right color. I have mostly Tamiya paints and don't know what might be the right color to use for the mix, and I hope that some one can help.

Revell instructions call for I to be used for the machine guns as a mix of 75% metallic steel (91) and 25%  grey matt  (9) which I would guess could be gunmetal????

they also have D which is a mix of 80% bronze green (65) and 20% yellow (15)  which looks to be wing tip light I  I asm guessing this might be some type of green???

The last mix is (M) which is 80% light blue (49) and 20% white(5) this is used for the antenna and the step for the pilot hanging from the fuselage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

John

John,

Welcome! Yes, the Revell paint call outs...

I would suggest using this link to get you started: http://www.ipmsdayton.com/sites/default/files/Tamiya_Mixes.txt

These aircraft had their colors determined by a system of RLM codes, so for example the cockpit would be RLM66. If you do a search for your particular aircraft on the internet, you have a fair chance of finding the camouflage RLM colors.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Welcome to the forums, John!

I wouldn't worry too much about the color call outs. Revell is trying to sell their paint so they are trying to point the modeler towards their stuff. 

You are correct, they are trying to create a gunmetal color, wingtip light color, and I think a version of light blue RLM65 for the antenna and step.

My suggestion is to peruse the LSP Work in Progress forum and check out other builds of FW's and 109's and see what colors others used and decide what you like. Several here use Tamiya, and Tamiya has some dedicated Luftwaffe colors so you should have some options.

A couple of notes: I have that kit also (it is a nice one!), and have read some reviews and it seems the biggest thing to look for is the construction of the multi-part cowling. For the right wingtip color, which is supposed to be green, you should note when the light is off the light cover typically looks a bluish shade. This is due to the yellowish nature of the incandescent bulbs. When the bulbs were on, the yellow light + blueish cover would show as green. Check some color photos to see what I mean.

Good luck!  

19 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

A couple of notes: I have that kit also (it is a nice one!), and have read some reviews and it seems the biggest thing to look for is the construction of the multi-part cowling.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the cowling is indeed the worst part of this kit, at least as far as I'm concerned.