B-17G 132 decal sheets, Olive Drab theme

Gerhard

Holding thumbs, it seems like the tax gods are smiling at me and I will get a decent tax refund. I have always wanted this kit, and will be in a position to get one. I am planning a Olive Drab scheme, but struggling to find decent decals. Other AM parts I can source quite easily, but the decals evade me. 

I hope all my learned friends on here can point me in the right direction. 

Edited by Gerhard

There were reportedly only about 200 G's built that have all the features of the HK kit and were OD/NG. Of those, even fewer were photographed and even fewer have been the subject of a decal. I don't know of one off-hand but I think Tom Probert built such an animal and you can find it on here.

Actually there are zero choices for building an accurate OD/NG bird out of the HK B-17G.  

There were approximately 225 Douglas built B-17G's that had staggered waist guns and the pumpkin tail turret (primary defining characteristics of the HK kit) that were painted OD/NG.  I believe they were in the 20 to 30 production blocks of the Douglas B-17G production run.  There may not be any decals for doing such an aircraft but the aircraft did exist.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1915

There were approximately 225 Douglas built B-17G's that had staggered waist guns and the pumpkin tail turret (primary defining characteristics of the HK kit) that were painted OD/NG. I believe they were in the 20 to 30 production blocks of the Douglas B-17G production run. There may not be any decals for doing such an aircraft but the aircraft did exist.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1915

Absolutely correct. I'm away skiing at the moment but can dig out some pictures when I return next week.

Tom

Gerhard, why not build the HK Models B-17E/F?

There were plenty of those aircraft finished in olive drab and neutral gray.

Your model would then be historically more accurate rather than a fictional build.

You can get decals via kitsworld as you have observed.

There seems to be only 1 HKM B-17 available in SA, and that is the B-17G. If I want to do a B-17E/F I would need to import, and the shipping is really very very expensive. The G is going for about $300, if I want a E/F I would have to add another $150 on top of that for shipping.