Trumpeter A6A Intruder:UPDATE:8/21/17: The Nose Gear: unpained

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Marcel

Truer words were never spoken and having followed your meticulous work, learning how you cope with unforeseen pitfalls has been a learning experience for sure

Much appreciated the very kind comments on the avionix bay

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Always a high point when you check in

A poorly image. I should have been more conscious on how eveything lined up.

PM is coming tonight

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 8/21/17: THE NOSE GEAR

It's big, tough and massive and Trumpeter is to be congratulated for casting the main portion of the gear out of metal for the extra strength it will need in supporting the Intruder, which will be no easy feat over the long haul. The nose gear casting has a beefy look and comparing the gear to the A6 at the Grumman Memorial Park, it's dead on in portraying heft of the gear. Much time was spent in cleaning up the casting; sanding and polishing- removing mold lines and even a few injector pin marks. The instructions weren't that easy to follow in placing all the small details but my collection of hundreds of photos I took of the real deal paid off handsomely. I' still amazed how big and beautiful she is on display.

One area that I found a bit lacking on the gear after adding all the details was the NBW's (nut, bolt and washers) were either poorly represented or missing altogether. Having just purchased an awesome scale HEX Nut punch set, I was eager to give it a try. In the photos, all the white NBW's were made with the punch set. I'm still learning ho to use the punch set but it's a gem for sure.

In most of the images, I have the gear is upside down using the wheel Well as a mini stand right now.The plan is not to polish out the oleo and then seal it, preventing it from oxidizing but rather to paint and weather the gear and user either AK or Alclad Chrome for the oleo.

So far I've dedicated over 10 hours of work on the nose gear – I know I work slow but still it's a lot of time; just a ton of work to get it to this point.

Thanks for checking in.

Up next: The nose gear wheel well and painting the nose gear.

Peter

i3fF8S.jpg

NpelFy.jpg

And Now: Upside down- could almost be a pet

8EJg4C.jpg

5dwgHD.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jim

Very much appreciated. It's a term we use here in the states all the time and comes in very handy.

I took a quick sneak peek at the mains and they are no when as clean as the nose wheel so I'll be spending more then twice the time cleaning and polishing

Peter