Building Trumpeters F-100 Super Sabre IANG

steel_tiger

THIS BUILD LOG WAS STARTED MARCH 30 2014 ON ARC.  I AM RESURRECTING THIS BUILD AND WILL UPDATE IT HERE ONLY. I WILL RECREATE THE WHOLE THREAD HERE AND UPDATE THE PHOTOS TO WHERE I HAVE RESTARTED THE BUILD. THANK YOU. Since Photo Bucket took a dump, I am trying out POSTIMAGE.

March 30 2014

First up let me say this will be my very first build log ever. I am always inspired by the lets "kick it up a notch" builds that Chuck does. The photography is always awesome as well

as the descriptions and tips. Two thing are my goals, build an awesome F-100 Super Sabre, and relearn how to use my way to complicated camera a Nikon D200. And if I can inspire someone or

at least maintain your interest that will be a bonus. Please speak up if you see something that needs attended to along the way or is just plain crap and needs to be done over. I have thick skin

so don't be bashful.

I have sourced many pics from the net to aid in the construction and for reference. My inspiration is I have two friends that were crew chiefs on these birds when they were active (both the planes and them)in the

Iowa Air National Guard 132nd fighter wing out of Des Moines and it is my intent to replicate one of their aircraft and surprise them with it. I have managed to get original emblems and copies of

artwork to help with markings as well

So first up is the overall shot of goodies I have gathered for the build.

Included are:

Zactomodels intake correction kit

Quick Boost correct refueling tube

Aires Models F-100 exhaust, landing gear bays, ejection seat

Master Details F-102 Afterburner, J57 engine improvement, jet pilot

Master Pitot tube

AMS Resin 335 gal fuel tank extensions

Eduard wheel well set, air brake set, exterior set, slat set, placard set, interior set

Eaglecal national guard decal set

Aeromaster F-4 Phantom stencils

103.jpg

Next up is the progress on the engine assembly, like I stated I started this a couple of years ago, so I have figure out what I've done

106.jpg

That is all for tonight, tomorrow after work I will start on the nasty intake seam.

Thanks

March 31 2014

So I really needed to get a handle on where I am at to know where to go. I took a few more pictures of

my past progress.

First up is the Master details engine improvement set. This replaces the stock fan hub that Trumpeter includes in the kit

that is totally wrong. However I do not think any of it will be visible once the intake is applied. So the only saving grace is

that I will know it's there. I assembled the engine section just as the directions indicate, with all the goofy etched parts.

Since I will not be displaying the engine on the cart with the tail off I left off the additional parts.

DSC_0022.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Here is the Aires Exhaust part grafted onto the other end of the engine. Styrene used to give a strong bond.

002.jpg

The Master Details F-102 after burner outlet. It comes with an inner and outer section and some crummy resin parts for the actuators.

I rebuilt the cylinders from styrene tube and phosphor bronze wire. I don't remember the sizes unfortunately but I think they made a big

difference from the supplied ones.

006.jpg

007.jpg

Next up are the fuel tanks. The stock one from the kit on top, the cut one below with AMS resins 335 gal tank extension on it for size comparison.

There is a very nice panel line on the tanks to guide the cutting process and AMS's tanks fit right on. I do have to do a little sanding to the

mating surface, but that will be later. The masking tape strips mark where the fuel fills were on the kit tank. I will use those lines to mate the

335 gal. fuel fill back up. Also I think the weight of the resin will help keep her on her nose, they add a lot of weight ahead of the center of gravity.

017.jpg

Last up the long intake end cut off to accept Zactomodels intake correction. And the horrible seam that needs attention.

That is all for tonight. I have found the reference pic I was looking for in another thread, so the next thing I have to do is dry fit the complete

intake, engine, exhaust and afterburner together into the fuselage and check length.

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

Thanks for looking.

P.S.- After taking the time to do the little bit I have done with this build log, I have a totally new respect for those of you who take the time to share your work with us. It is a lot of work to do this. And I thank everyone who does.

Edited by steel_tiger

Small update. I have dry fit the complete intake and engine/exhaust into the fuselage to see if I was satisfied with the length that I cut off of the Aires engine set.

Turns out that I think it looks pretty close to the reference photo I found. From the nearest I can tell the afterburner section should protrude aprox. 8-10 scale inches from

the rear end of the fuselage. I think its pretty close and will be satisfied with it for now.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Next up Cockpit parts ready to work on. I think the biggest challenge will be to match the color Eduard chose for the cockpit. No way it is righ,t but I like the way it looks.

Thanks

Edited by steel_tiger

April 16 2014

Since you can measure my modeling progress by driving stakes in the ground I have an update. I have been working on the front office some, but have been concentrating on the area beneath the wind screen. I have looked at nearly every photo I can find both online and in books and couldn't get that perfect shot. You would think that with all the Huns around in museums and the two still flying I could find that elusive perfect shot. So I came up with what I think it may look like based on what I could find. I am sure I will find the photo just after I button it up, and won't be able to change it.

Here is Aires ejection seat set in place. Aires makes some nice parts, and I have had to restrain myself from buying the whole cockpit set.

I have removed all the molded on stuff to be able to use the Eduard photo-etch set.

DSC_0025.jpg

005_(2).jpg

003.jpg

002_(2).jpg

016_(2).jpg

Here is the in progress shot of the dashboard.

006_(2).jpg

007_(2).jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

That is all for now. I am going to get the rest of the front office done now that I don't have to sit and look at Hun pictures all day, you can only imagine how horrible it was.

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by steel_tiger

May 4 2014

Been awhile since I updated. I am a slow modeler, like I've said start your calendars. But I am making some progress. I have been working on all the components that need to be finished before I can close up the fuselage. I am nearing that point and will need time to start painting some things soon. I have purchased a new spray booth to help with that and now all I need is a small compressor with tank, waiting for Harbor Freight to have a sale again.

First up are the door for the gun covers. In typical trumpeter fashion they are open, not my plan so they must be fit for closing. So I drilled out the doors and thinned them from behind and added .010 strip styrene to make the vents.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

I have also been working on the side wall of the cockpit adding the Eduard set and styrene bits here and there.

DSC_0061.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by steel_tiger

May 4 2014

And finally a not so good thing to report. I had been doing some priming of some of the parts, and the afterburner section was part of that process. I usually use Floquil Primer through the old airbrush, but since I didn't have a proper spray booth since I moved, I have been using Tamiya Primer out of a rattle can. I have had awesome results using this stuff and since it is near a idiot proof primer (and somedays I am nearer that than not) I thought what the heck I'll use this. Well I got way to much on the exhaust ring trying to paint the inside of it. So it was too thick for my liking on the base of it. Sooooo I'll just strip it in my go to solution of 91% isopropyl alcohol. I have used this stuff dozens of times stripping paint of off plastic models with near perfect results. I swear by it, it's cheap doesn't harm plastic ever, you can leave plastic in it for days without any ill effects.

Well if you remember from my beginning posts I was using the Master Details resin afterburner section for the F-102s the were fitted to the F-100 before they went to the National guard units. A warning about Isopropyl alcohol. Resin parts and it do not react well over long term submersion. The results are absolutely horrendous. I had left the parts in submersion for about 12 hours or so and checked on them, the primer had softened some and was starting to come of with a vigorous rubbing everything seemed fine, I thought I will let it soak some more and it will come right off. That was were I made the big mistake because I forgot about them for two or three days. When I remembered I thought oh yeah the paint will probably be gone or just fall of. When I took them out this is what I found:

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

So now the parts are like rubber, and still that way after 4 days out of the soak. I have never seen this kind of reaction before and the fact that they are rubbery means that the alcohol removed some component out of the resin, some weird chemical reaction. I would have been better off to just soak them in paint thinner to remove the primer. It would have been faster and less likely to damage the resin.

The good news is that all is not lost for this project, as I was smart enough to buy two sets of these before Master went out of business. Trumpeter was after all going to release an F-100F as it had been in the catalog for a year or two and I needed the extra set for that. The bad news is I won't be buying the Trumpeter F-100F now as I wont have the right afterburner for it. :bandhead2:/>

Oh well live and learn, it's all part of the fun right? right?

Edited by steel_tiger

Miscellaneous pics to complete the story  to date.

Add some story to these pics:

The Trumpeter F-100 has the parachute ejection track on both sides of the rear fuselage. That is wrong should only be on one side so I need to fill those lines in. Using my favorite putty Tamiya basic.

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Thinning the rear of the fuselage and adding some internal structure as you won't see much past the burner but you will see a little.

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

This is he tail skid mechanism, part Eduard part kit.

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

These are part of the tools I used to work the seam line in the intake. Also mounted these on some brass channel as well.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Thanks

Edited by steel_tiger

Forgot the cockpit. At this point I have the basic cockpit done. I still need to add some stuff and weather it. I cant get over how much I love the prepainted Eduard sets. All the white markings for the switches and knobs looks like they are there. I cut the knobs off the Trumpeter kit and applied them onto the Eduard set, and I think it gives it nice depth. I am still trying to decide if I want to put the pilot figure in. Originally I was going to just so I didn't have to mess with the speedbrake well and door. But I am giving it a go. In fact that is where we will pick up the build again here shortly is my working on that.

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

Edited by steel_tiger