Wilhelm Hipperts Jasta 74 "Mimmi"

Out2gtcha

Brian,

I'm looking at your pictures, and honestly the lozenge decaling looks perfect to me.   I'm amazed that you guys can lay down wing size decals and not have any bubbles nor wrinkles, yet I struggle with every decal fighting the good fight. 

I'm fairly confident that the post it masks won't damage any decals, but I'm really concerned about the Mimmi masks. How tacky is it? did you test any of the masking on a spare decal?

I stil l have nightmares when a piece of every well detacked Tamiya tape lightly ended up resting on the tail decals on my A-6E and when I attempted to gently pull it off, I pulled some decal right with. Needed a whole new fightertown decal to re-decal it. 

Joel

Brian,

I'm looking at your pictures, and honestly the lozenge decaling looks perfect to me.   I'm amazed that you guys can lay down wing size decals and not have any bubbles nor wrinkles, yet I struggle with every decal fighting the good fight. 

I'm fairly confident that the post it masks won't damage any decals, but I'm really concerned about the Mimmi masks. How tacky is it? did you test any of the masking on a spare decal?

I stil l have nightmares when a piece of every well detacked Tamiya tape lightly ended up resting on the tail decals on my A-6E and when I attempted to gently pull it off, I pulled some decal right with. Needed a whole new fightertown decal to re-decal it. 

Joel

Thanks Joel! Im fairly confident I can take off the masks without pulling them up (read about 80% here). The only reason I say that is the Oramask has substantially less tack than rice paper/kabuki tape.

The tac the Ormask has is kind of a "reusable" tack if you will. It almost relies on surface tension to hold on as much as actual stickiness; kind of like one of those window cling stickers is how I think of it a bit.

We shall see. It is indeed a gamble.  Im hoping its one that pays off. If I do end up pulling the decals up, well lesson learned, and Im not out much, since this was never going to be  contest winner.

Now if I dont pull up the masks, and I can somehow manage to finish the Fokker in the next 15 days, I will most definitely enter it in the NATs however. Why not? How often does the pinnacle International event in the hobby you are passionate about come to your very own home town?

At most every 6 years apparently. :lol:        

I know it wont win any prizes, but it will be a colorful model, and should garner some attention and looks at the table, which is more than 1/2 the reason I enter any contest at all; to show off my work!! lol - sounding a bit presumptuous and big headed but its not like that.............I just dont have too many people in my 1:1 who know about, care at all, let alone get excited by the hobby I love, so its nice to let people see your work, good or bad. 

SUPERB Brian!

The aviattic decals look great, i am still impressed every time i use Richard's 'fabric' decals they add so much to a build and honestly really make the fabric areas look like fabric. Don't worry about the preshading showing through as. A translucent coat of buff helps tone everything down, or oil dot fading would also work a treat and color modulate the whole area too if you like using oils for filters and weathering. This way you can also blend in the mimmi mask. Take yoir time removing the mask but fingers crossed with the solvaset and the aviattic decals you shouldn't get any underlying lift.

Just got back layed the last decal on the top middle wing on the AEG so you can say we are all knee deep in decaling except for Ernie who's always miles ahead of everyone, God bless him.

Enjoy watching Bruce and the band tonight! Haven't managed to get a chance to attend a maiden concert although been trying for years now :'(

Karim

Thanks Karim!

Yes my friend, you were 100% right. Very stretchy and quite resilient decals!  Just got a bit rubbery and wanted to mush out of shape after hitting them with Solvaset. Micro-Sol, didnt seem to do diddly to the decals, so Solvaset was a good option.

They really are amazing, as they dont rip apart or even break up. Hell to cut even with a new razor-blade! 

Will definitely use Aviattic stuff again for SURE

Brian,

Pete and I decided after nearly 40 years to start entering the Noreastcon when it's close enough, the local Replicon when the LI club doesn't host the Noreastcon or Nationals, and the Northern NJ Mosqitocon. We're not entering to win or place by any means, but to show off our current work, and to see how it stacks up to today's standards. 

At least you get the Nats. every 6 years of so. When it rotates to the East coast, it usually ends up in Orlando, Atlanta, or Hampton Va. Hampton being the closest one to our homes is a mere 14 hr. drive. 

Joel

I'm trying desperately to use the kit decals on my Fokker, but darn if your not making it really hard to say no. Those wings look great! I do see what you mean when discussing the pre-shading showing through. Keep it up, your leading the way for me!

Tony,

What's wrong with the kit decals? 

Joel

Brian,

OH NO :oops:

So the mask did pull the decal off. That sucks. Do you have replacement decals for the top wing?

Joel

I was in the process of positioning one of the mask pieces over the white, when I lifted it a touch, and the white came up with the mask.

I pulled the other part of the mask up figuring it was all loose, as i had obviously underestimateed the tack of the masks, and OVER estimated the tack of the decals. Sure enough the decals remained rubbery, but not really all tjat stuck to the wing.

A gamble I took and lost.

No replacement lozenge decals, and no replacement decals for Mimmi. :(

It's pretty much dead in the water

Edited by Out2gtcha

I'm sure I can. I'm juat a bit disheartened at the moment. I just can't see getting a custom decal done in time.

I may see if I try printing my own decal off.

Working in the guns as a distraction atm.

Interesting development!

Thanks to Herr Clunk, I now have a Mimmi set of Pheon decals coming, and shortly will have a new set of Aviattic decals coming.....and I will gladly use the Mimmi decal to save another Aviattic debacle.

However,

The guy on Hyperscale did this scheme with a Mimmi mask and Aviattic decals with no ussue............so I was baffled what went wrong until just a few min ago......

I think I may have found the issue. I cleared the bottom of the wing in prep for the New decals. But not the TOP wing.

I went ahead and started ripping off the bottom wing decals with more Oramask since it pulled it all up the first time, and when I got to the bottom of the bottom wing, a new fresh copy of the Oramask wouldn't pull ANYTHING up:

20170710_175622-X2.jpg

20170710_175651-XL.jpg

Maybe stored info for a future build, as once the new Aviattic and Pheon decals get here I'll need to jam out with no setbacks.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Ouch!!! feeling for yer mate :crying: Got try these things. Don't know if you can cut it out of Frisk as that is a very low tac - used to use it on my Illustrations for that reason so almost no chance of lifting the work I had already done. Or another thought. I take it these are hand painted on the 1:1 so how about cutting out of a thin paper and using spray mount - use Acrylic and you should be able to clean the glue off with a bit of lighter fuel ..... don't think it will effect the decal underneath? I'm sure you will work it out Brian.

Another note I see I have been Photo-!uckit (Pay-up or your pictures get it!) thanks for nothing!!!! which Photo home are you now using Brian as it seems to be working for you?

Cheers Brain - And good luck - hope the Maiden went well...... I was 13 when I sore them at Oxford Apollo as the support act to Saxon - loved then ever since .... god I had hair them days!!!!!

Taff :D

image-XL.jpg

image-XL.jpg

Digging out D.VllF Kit decals now. Send addy. FedEx overnight tomorrow with tracker. I don't trust local USPS. Or my office helper

Brian, I DON'T have the Aviattic lozenge set you need, so you're on your own there. eBay?

MANY Thanks my friend!!!

Yep, already have another set of Aviattic lozenge decals winging my way from Victory Models. Shipping 3 day air was $3, and the next step up, 4 day air was $9, so Im hoping they get here by Friday.