Any good Seafire Mk XVII or FR 47 conversions out there?

MustangManiac

Hello everyone,

The title says it all are there any good Seafire Mk XVII or FR 47 conversion sets out there? I'd like to be able to do a Seafire with the wings folded that's why I'm leaning towards a Mk XVII or a FR 47.

Thanks,

Brady

Well, the Freightdog conversion is currently the best available option but it does not cover the engine cowling, nor the cockpit, nor the landing gear wells, nor the panel lines or mechanism for the folding wings, etc.

To avoid a ton of work, we really need a full kit of the FR47. All other options only result in an hybrid kit if you are not prepared for serious scratchbuilding and detailing work.

Last, finding useful information about that mark is VERY difficult...

Thierry

Iconicair are doing some parts for a Griffon nose, they already do replacement cowlings for the Matchbox kit, and one of our members does a Mk XII conversion which could be used to start a XVII. Grey Matter do some conversions as well as a number of parts, props, canopies and so on. Best FR47 I have seen was a conversion from a Tamiya XVI. I will find the link..... Thierry has been working on a conversion as well!

I agree, a full kit would be brilliant! I keep looking at all my Spit kits and trying to work out which would be best! PCM XIV maybe?

One day.....

If you're interested in a Seafire 47 I have an extra Freightdog conversion set. I don't really see myself building two now (despite what I told myself a couple years ago). It originally cost GBP25...about US$31.00. Send me a message if you'd like it...

Richard

Very interesting stuff, I did find an old build of a Mk XVII with a homemade wingfold that looked awesome here but I don't think Bob (elric) ever mass produced it for anyone else to use.

PM sent Richard, I'm interested in the conversion set.

Cheers,

Brady

Take a Tamiya Spit XVI and add a "Spit XII" conversion nose, and you're much of the way to a Seafire 17.  You'd still need to deal with the sting hook and rudder, and a different windscreen/hood, but after that it is basically just details.

The Brit Bits parts were the basis of the Freightdog set. Jen did a wonderful initial and very clean set of resin bits, but sold the molds to Freightdog who expanded on that and included many more parts including wheel bulges, proper wheels, cannons, etc. and a great decal sheet with instructions.

You can definitely build a Seafire 47 from the Brit Bits parts (new nose intake plus wing fairing, spinner, prop blades, canopy, rudder hook, gunsight), but the Freightdog set is far more complete.

I have a set of the Brit Bits parts too (I know, I'm nuts)

Richard

Hi guys I have already made two griffon conversion kits , and provide eveything needed to make a mark XII and a mark  XIV highback . I am currently trying to make a lowback/bubbletop either in clear resin or vacuform ... hopefully in the not to distant future , these will be available direct from me ,from my ebay shop . lroybrownmodels .jim