Eduard PE question

HI this is my first post to LSP, and I have a question regarding the model which will be my first WIP - Trumpeter SBD1/2 Dauntless. With the kit I also have the Big-Ed aftermarket, and here is my question - possibly the first of many. Having decided to build according to numbers I started on the engine and within two parts removals hit a snag - the Big-Ed instructions for the engine detail displayed the insertion of plastic into what I assume are the spark-plug holes - after much time of sprue-searching I could not locate these "parts" - am I correct that the modeller needs to supply the relevant plastic from card stock/rod? At that point I boxed everything up and decided to ask the gurus here for advice. Right now, no photos of work hence my hesitation to post in the "works in Progress" column.

If you dont have plastic rod in your stash, that's not a problem. Just take some sprue bits, heat it with a ligher (or a candle or whatever...) and when you feel it's soft, stretch it until you get a rod of the diameter you're looking for. You may have to make a few tries before succeeding to get what you need, but it's free. :)

Edited by Zero77

Here's an R-2800 I'm working on:

R-2800_01.jpg

Prior to the assembly of the engine, I drilled out the round pegs that Tamiya thinks look like spark plugs with a  1.05mm drill bit. 

Then cut 1.0mm brass rod to ~4mm lengths to make spark plugs and CA'd them into the 1.05mm holes I drilled into the cylinder heads. 

10-pound fishing line to make the spark plug wires. 

Certainly not perfect, but is fairly convincing in person. 

• 5 years later...
On 11/9/2016 at 12:09 PM, MarkHancock said:

Thanks for all the prompt responses.

Welcome, Mark, and please don't hesitate, at all, to post up your work in progress.  I posted my first LSP as an adult way back in 2017, and I am still not finished with it.

This place is full of excellent advice.  Especially to a new modeler, everyone seems very supportive.   

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to Eduard PE question