Want to build a F4U1-A

Reuben L. Hernandez

Want to build a Corsair, really want the Tamiya kit but right now its out of my price range so I'm left with either the Trumpeter or the Revell kits.

Im not too much of an accuracy nut but I would like a good shape all around that's a fairly an easy going build.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about the short comings of both kits and I'm just wondering what's available out there in the aftermarket world for both kits focusing on mainly the cockpit and cowl flaps. Also wondering if the Aires landing gear bay would fit in the Revell kit.

Now if someone has the Tamiya kit for trade or for sale at a reasonable price I just rather go this route and if a trade can be made I can throw in some cash to even up any possible trade.

Thanks for your consideration

Reuben

I personally would stay away from the Trump kit.  The cowl is wrong, the cowl flaps are wrong, the prop is wrong, the front gear doors are wrong, the exhaust is wrong, it's missing the folding panels on the lower wing that seal the flap joint, the the CL lower cooling shutter doesn't look right, the oil cool gills in the wing leading edge are wrong. 

I did make the effort to correct all these things and spent a kings ransom in AM and hours of scratch build to do so.  All I ended up using from the Trump kit was the fuse, wings, flaps and canopy glass. 

From experience save your pennies and treat yourself to the Tamiya kit. You won't regret it.  

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with your opinions and experiences I really appreciate all your words of wisdom.

You all are right about saving my pennies and just buy the Crown Jewel of the Corsair line. I know I would save myself a bunch of frustration and cussing.

Reuben

Good luck Reuben. I'd stay away from the Aires wheel well set as, in my experience, it will not fit without lots of work.

True on that. Rueben my friend, take our advice, save for the Tammy one. Mine is ,so far a great build........Harv

Guest Peterpools

Absolutely save up and buy the tamiya Corsair; both the F4U-1 and F4U-1A are in a class by themselves and built straight from the box are absolutely gems.

Peter

I personally would stay away from the Trump kit. The cowl is wrong, the cowl flaps are wrong, the prop is wrong, the front gear doors are wrong, the exhaust is wrong, it's missing the folding panels on the lower wing that seal the flap joint, the the CL lower cooling shutter doesn't look right, the oil cool gills in the wing leading edge are wrong.

I did make the effort to correct all these things and spent a kings ransom in AM and hours of scratch build to do so. All I ended up using from the Trump kit was the fuse, wings, flaps and canopy glass.

From experience save your pennies and treat yourself to the Tamiya kit. You won't regret it.

Hey Ron first let me say that was a great looking build on the Corsair.

I really enjoyed reading the entire thread and I pickup some useful and great information and techniques. I do have a Trumpeter Corsair -4 in the ever growing stash that I can and will employ when I decide that I'm ready to take on this challenging build.

Reuben

Reuben,

Please check, minimum list:

Trumpeter          Tamiya

1/32 Kit                        $ 64.00             $ 170.00

Wheel Bay - Aires       $ 24.00

Prop Nut – G-Factor    $ 11.50

Cockpit - True Details  $ 17.00

Dashboard - Eduard    $  9.00

Correct Cowl - Vector  $ 29.00

Total                             $ 154.50           $ 170.00

Sprue Brothers, no shipping, no trying, no cutting, no sanding.

Fabio

Edited by ffuzeira

Ok guys first off thanks to everyone that chimed in with their words of wisdom and experiences I really do appreciate it and took everyone's opinions to heart.

Great news! LSP Ron came to the rescue and offered up one of his kits even though he was not in the market to sell one of he's at a very reasonable price and as a matter of fact he's taking a lose!!!

It's been said a million times and I will just say it again...LSP is the best form bar none on the internet for everything that's related to large scale modeling!!!!

And the members, some Ive had the great privilege to meet in person and some I know just through the forms, are the best and most knowledgeable period enough said!!!!

Sincerely,

Reuben

San Antonio, TX