A- 4SU Super Skyhawk

freemodeller

Hi everyone  today 19 September is  the  F404 -GE -100D engine Skyhawk first fiight 30 anniversary , it  developed into  the A-4SU Super Skyhawk for the RSAF.  To commemorate this event I would like to share photos of the 1:8 scale model which I build 30 years ago for the re-engine project. Base on the original Douglas blue print and the conversion plan, the model build to TA-4S-1 standard with the clear fuselage to show the GE engine, the fiber glass model took three months to complete and was first display at the 1986 Farnborough Air Show.  Years before this project I had already converted my own plastic model as you can see from the photo,the 1:48 scale I used ESCI kit  which I won 1st place in local model competition in 1981. The 1:32 scale I used the Hasegawa  kit , the only 1:32 scale kit available than and it was very accurate compare to the Douglas drawing. I scan these old photos many years ago as you can see the image are not so clear and the colour had run, hope your don't mind and enjoy.

Best redards

Robin Koh

1A_zpsj97xraxn.jpg

3A_zpsh9ntpaor.jpg

4A_zpsfpywhhqt.jpg

6A_zps2vhcu5bh.jpg

2A_zpsjmwnywwk.jpg

7A_zpsrz8s9wyj.jpg

8A_zpsxmxpvchl.jpg

IMG_20160918_212113_zpsakdys8za.jpg

IMG_20160918_140017_zpsuv7c2h7j.jpg

Hey nice! Did you do the HUD and glass screen in the cockpit? The SU had a ferranti HUD right, same as the kiwi ones?

Hi Hamfists, the model was built before the cockpit final design, therefore no HUD and glass screen inside the model,however you can find the A-4SU cockpit photo when you Google the A4 super skyhawk image.

I did seen the RNZAF skyhawk when they are here for air defence exercise in 1973,they are just beautiful in tan and two tone green camouflage.

Regards

Robin Koh