1/32 F-15I Ra'am (Tamiya+Isracast)

spyrosjzmichos

It's gut, but isn't it too dirty!? I don't know the history of this exact airframe and if it's possible to be that dirty, in the closed areas, under the panels.... Maybe some sort of brownish wash would be better. This black looks kinda too aggressive to me.

I would agree, as Avionics bays are quite clean compared to the engine and Hydro bays. There shouldn't be any grim-soot build up as they are typically quite clean.

Mike V

Hmmm... You might be right guys. Unfortunately the avionics bay is already done for now so will try to be a bit more moderate on subsequent builds!  :oops:

I got Florymodels' grey panel wash. Will try it next time instead of the black panel wash.

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

I ordered Lifecolour's aotake green/blue but never received it. Will keep your suggestion in mind for any future builds. Might be worth asking MR Paint to come up with one! 

Maybe MR Paint Russian cockpit  colour is a bit closer to that....

I haven't checked mine recently, but it looks reasonably similar...

I decided to deviate a bit from the usual track and work on the burner cans.

Isracast provides a nice set of PnW F100 exhausts which need little cleaning and good paint job.

Here, one of the exhausts had the casting block removed and required a bit of clean up.

20160819_000335_zpsek26dav6.jpg

A bit of sanding with 600 gritt sandpaper.

20160819_000343_zpsapwiqaqm.jpg

And done!

20160819_000746_zps73wjeblh.jpg

I painted the inside of the exhaust cans matt white.

20160819_103851_zpsr0whkx3p.jpg

Then a black wash and further streaks with AK's leaks and stains set.

20160819_175304_zpsbpabihhk.jpg

The look I was going for... Approximately...

20160819_182657_zpsmsshtxq6.jpg

I tried AK's Xtreme Metal paints for the first time. 

Here coated each exhaust with the black base. Not very good coverage to be honest.

20160819_185849_zpshjkisn6g.jpg

Then white aluminium.

20160819_191436_zps01bocrox.jpg

I discovered that the black base works wonders for post shading.

20160819_192617_zpsbnfxzeoc.jpg

I masked and painted the grooves at the base with transparent green. Then sprayed with light dust of white aluminium to tone it down.

20160819_195808_zpslp1jairt.jpg

Then masked again and sprayed with transparent blue.

20160820_132759_zpsykayth92.jpg

I played around with toning down the blue with steel. 

Final result below!

20160820_173342_zpstufxgrvj.jpg

It`s not bad, but the inner sides kinda need more contrast between the wash and the white, while from the outer sides, the feathers for the heat shields need wash to look more "separated". If this is the final result - man, add a little bit of wash from the outside, that way the feathers look like one whole piece.  :rolleyes:

Weathering look good; however, you do know that the F-15I has the Pratt -229 Engines which means the turkey feathers are carbon fiber. I've used CF decals to do these in the past. 

It looks like Isra used the Tamiya F-16C Pratt 220 Exhaust nozzles to make their -229 Exhaust set. They didn't quite clean up the segment lines of the inner nozzle.

Mike V

Edited by Viper Enforcer

It`s not bad, but the inner sides kinda need more contrast between the wash and the white, while from the outer sides, the feathers for the heat shields need wash to look more "separated". If this is the final result - man, add a little bit of wash from the outside, that way the feathers look like one whole piece.  :rolleyes:

Now, that I can work on! :)

Will put up new pics when done.

Weathering look good; however, you do know that the F-15I has the Pratt -229 Engines which means the turkey feathers are carbon fiber. I've used CF decals to do these in the past. 

It looks like Isra used the Tamiya F-16C Pratt 220 Exhaust nozzles to make their -229 Exhaust set. They didn't quite clean up the segment lines of the inner nozzle.

Mike V

Thanks Mike! Do you have any pic of those engine exhausts?

Edited by spyrosjzmichos