North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

Bicycle spokes uses as the metal parts of the strengthening but epoxy grips quite weakly to plastic (under flex) but up against the spars I glued in it should all be ok.

Gives the wing a good weighty feel - and hence the whole model wont feel like a feather. The wings have strength and rigidity.

Busy with upper surfaces

A most impressive build to date. I'm in awe of anyone who can turn those vac molded pieces into a well build model.  Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Thanks for that. I don't think I will do one again soon - its a right royal pain in the butt, so I'll be just as impressed as anyone if it turns out looking remotely acceptable. But it does force you into different skills of analysis and construction which is nice. Of course im making mistakes as well because I dont build vacform - in fact this will be my 2nd one completed. First time building vacform wings.

Now to get the wheel cutouts and door cutouts done is just about impossible since the slight ridge and guideline to do the cutout is very feint and not very accurate anyway. So the next step is to make some form of template from the monogram model and trace/scribe onto the vacform. The wing strength and rigidity is great. Slight dihedral difference - which will be masked by slight u/c heights (oleo extension)

Well - i started scavenging parts for undercarriage, and the only viable options are, the monogram Harvard, and my Revell /Monogram Mustang and my Tamiya Mustang . Since I dont want to leave one of my Harvard kits without undercarriage I have 2 options.

Use the Harvard Monogram u/c but give the Mustang parts to the Monogram Harvard

Use the Mustang legs

Looking at the parts im actually more impressed with the tamiya Mustang legs - so I will place them in the Monogram Harvard kit and scavenge red legs from that kit.

The mustang legs just need hydraulic hoses - a few small bits and they should be fine

The biggest mod is to shorten them and build in the attachment point at the correct angle

so there we go - Harvard legs on the BC-1 :)

The white revell/monogram legs are not that great34682359355_7c1fb3df93_b.jpg

The problem I now find (another irritation of these vacform kits) is that the fillet for the horizontal stabs is incorrect - way too far back. see in the pic I have loosely fitted one side so that the trailing edge is correct - and you can see how badly out of line the fillet at the leading edge (LE) is. If I align the LE so the fillet looks good - then my horizontal stabilisers will be too far back and essentially place the elevators in the path of rudder movement, and of course just looking wrong.

Sculpting fillets is not a job I enjoy - oh boy

34297747440_c17e8f1cc1_b.jpg