Azur dewoitine D 520

The other issue may be air pressure. Try to work with lower pressures to minimize splatter and unwanted texturing.

I have used both acrylics and enamals and find that acrylics are easier to handle overall. However they don't come close to the richness in color and hardness of enamals.

But using Future over acrylics re-claims some color depth as well as hardness, and again all acrylics can be thinned with distilled water or simple Isopropyl (80 or 90% grade) alcohol.

Your Dewo is looking great so far BTW. I was unable to realize the correct colors on mine, but got the blue/grey pretty close. That green color killed me though <_<

Good points Chris, regarding the airbrush. I'm using ModelMaster enamels and find the colors are all off as well. One of the books on French aircraft I received from a French modeler included color chips which should be a big help.

Personally, I absolutely can't handle acrylics at all, either they won't move through my airbrush at all or they are way to thin. No clue what I'm doing wrong.

What I noticed recently, I have some problems every now and then with paint, whicht "sags" down in my airbrush: Sometimes I have more thinner on top of the container and more pigment on the bottom, no matter how carefully I mix them. No idea what I'm doing wrong here, to...

Hi Gustave

The issue that you have with your airbrushing is one more suited to what appears to be the paint is drying before it has time to adhere to the airframe.

To bypass this, lay down a more "wet" coat of paint.

Changeing your thinning ratio will help, as Chris has suggested, air pressure is also of importance.

I personaly like to shoot at a higher air pressure and when the paint is dry wipe down the airframe with a very soft cloth and polish the excesse paint off leaving to my eyes at least a finner spray pattern as well as a smooth finnish.

Others have much success with low pressure that at the end of the day will result in outstanding paint jobs.

However, never rush you paint prep and when you are spraying. Enjoy the painting of your model as this will really determine the outcome between a great model or a not so great model that is in the ryes of the beholder.

Regards

Denie who can paint very well and also very bad. <_<

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Gustave;

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment and say stay well away from Acrylics. If you are used to enamels stay with them. These guys are all great modellers, and by looking at their work, are all very adept at using acrylics but I cant get on with that paint. I used to use it years ago ( Poly-S, Tamiya, ModelMaster...the lot) but used to spend ages cleaning my airbrush, and trying to find that "perfect" mix. Now that I use enamels ( three years and counting) my airbrushing has improved steadily and my cleaning time is minimal. I would try some different pressures with the compressor if I were you, as well as perhaps a fresh tin of colour as well. If you are using Humbrol, the quality of them has deteriorated since the plant in Hull burnt down, and they have started making them in China. Humbrols now go off very quickly and start to dry as soon as you open them. As a matter of fact all paints start to dry the minute you open the tin and as you use more they begin to coagulate as the tin empties. I never personally use a tin once it is half empty as by then it is too pigmenty. Also try heating them up with a hair drier or hot water as this will agitate the pigments and help them atomise through the airbrush. I know it sounds silly, but trust me, try it and see.

That pebble like texture you are experiencing is the pigment drying before it reaches the model. throw the tin away now, the paint is crap. The pigments are drying before the thinner and this is the base of your problem. Remember that the liquid in the paint is the medium for transferring the pigment colour to the model. As the medium evapourates the colur is what is left on the model, in a basic way of saying it. So if the pigment dries first you have problems.

Denie has made good points ( as has everyone, so take the best of each and use them for yourslef ) , and as he says a low pressure may be the answer. I never personally spray above 1 1/2 bar and I am happy with the results I get.

KOTR, try using the hairdrier when the paint is in the cup and see if this helps the sag.

I hope you can sort out the paint difficulties Gustave, as this model is coming along very nicely. Impressive work with the resin casting.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Thanks guys for all of the advice! :blink:

I'm going to stay away from the plane for a few days so I could think about all you guys have said. One of my older 1/72 models is in for a new paintjob...I'll practice hard, I really don't want to mess up this build!!

Thanks again guys for your help, its greatly appreciated :)

• 1 month later...

Totaly lost my nerves. I had a feeling that day (about a week ago)....I knew I wasn't in the right mood.... ;) :D

So I'll start a new D.520 after my next project (if I don't mess it up too).

Thanks guys for all of the great advice, they'll be put to better work next time!

GASP! :o

Gustave. What can I say mate? I feel your pain. I offer my condolences and commiserations.

I know those terms are usually reserved for the loss of a loved one... but I reckon you will be in mourning and grieving for some time yet.

Really sorry. Best of luck with the next project.

:o

I am so sorry. I know how it is at that moment, and there's not a lot that can be done sometimes. At least you have good spares for the next Dewo eh?

Cheers mate, next one will go better!

Oh man...that sucks...hang in there. On a positive note, spares for you next one, lots of open access panels B)

But on the side of smashed things

A lady I worked with once told me that she looked out the window and saw her husband, 'throwing' the lawnmower around the yard after 'it' wouldn't run properly. He said it was stuffed so he was venting his frustration...so she asks him do you feel better...and he says he did.

A few years later I was using the 'family' lawnmower which Dad had been using (ie never serviced, fixed , adds oil to the 4 stroke fuel because it apparently lubricates????) To start it you usually pull the cord. I was doing that but the plastic disc to which the rope was attached kept coming off a sconing me in the head. When I finally got it going it has one speed...full throttle ...deafening. To stop it you electrocuted yourself by pulling off the spark plug lead. Ok...you get the picture.

Well...one day that Bast#%* wouldn't start...even with Ether down the carby ( it had no airfilter). That disc even drew blood when it hit me on the bridge of the nose :angry: So I did it. I picked u that MOFO and threw it around the yard..shot put and hammer throw style. My misses was :o and you know what...it DOES feel better.

A D520 foot stomped...now you can move on to the next one.

cheers Matty