1/48 Zvezda Sukhoi Su-2 *Done*

mywifehatesmodels

This will be the next build for a friend of mine. Apart from the kit, I will also be using the Eduard PE sets for the interior, exterior and landing flaps. He also sent me the SAC landing gear, but we'll see how they stack up to what's in the box (my opinion of metal landing gear is pretty low, in most cases, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt). I will also be using a different cowl/engine. Vector makes corrections/conversions for the M-88 (what the kit is supposed to depict), as well as the later M-88B, which has a slightly more rounded appearance (and more pleasing to my eye), looking a little more like the nose of an La-5....but then again, not really. The fun part is that I'm not sure which set he's sending me. It should be here any day, so I guess I'll wait for the surprise!

20151214_110118_zpsnsliiucj.jpg

I'm still not sure on all of the details of this build, but I know I'll be trying to cram as much of the five or six sheets of PE into it as I possibly can (and hopefully maintain my sanity!). The paint scheme and markings have yet to be determined, also. I probably won't be using the kit's decals on this one. As much as I like Zvezda's kits, and this one seems to have real potential, especially with all the PE additions, I really don't like their decals and don't want to let it down by using them. Given that most of the markings on these planes are rather simplistic, masking/painting them shouldn't be too difficult. In any case, I'll post more details as I figure out exactly where I'm heading with this. I just wanted to get this thread started, so that when the time comes to start building, I can get to posting the pictures and details, right away.

Cheers!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, guys!

Even though this model wouldn't be my first choice in modeling subjects, I am looking forward to it. When you're doing commission stuff, it can be a lot worse. At least it's the same area of interest as most of the subjects I would build for myself and I'll learn about something new, for sure. I've had to do other stuff that I had zero interest in and it was difficult to motivate myself to even get started. That's one thing I enjoy about working for this friend of mine. Over the years, we've come to know each other, what to expect and have a really good working relationship. While his interests may fall outside my main scope of things, sometimes, it's always educational and has even broadened my own field of view, in a way.

John, you're a machine ... you turn out professional quality models in the time it takes me to get familiar with the instructions! Are you going with a one-colour finish on this one again? You have some good work to build on from your Romanian effort a couple of models back.

Cheers
Jim

Jim,

We haven't decided on a scheme, quite yet. Once the new cowl/engine arrive, the next step will be to research some possible subjects. If nothing really suits him, then we might even come up with something that's not documented, but still within the realm of possibility (a little artistic license). However, my friend is usually pretty good about settling on what he wants, using photos and profiles as references. I'll be sure to post whatever we come up with, once the decision is made.

Thanks again,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Hello John. .

NOICE !

I LIKE it already. .. doing it in one of MY scale range

this will be delightful to watch.

you do make some really impressive models and I think

even in this non true scale I know that the model will be excellent.

Good Luck... your friend is lucky to have you build for him !

:thumbsup:

Maru,

I like to tease about "true" scale, but the fact of the matter is that most of the builds I've done in my life have been in 1/48, even for my own collection. It wasn't until about five years ago that I started to really stick with 1/32, selling/trading off almost everything I had in smaller scales (and even a batch of 1/24). I prefer 1/32 because it's big enough to give a better view of details and if you should have to add anything, it's usually a little bit easier to work with. It's hard to discount the volume of available subjects in 1/48, though. Also, I'm still heavily debating if I want to start building model jets. I did a lot of them when I was younger, but my focus and favorite area has always been WW2. However, as my skills have progressed it would be nice to do at least a few again. The dilemma I face is that most of the subjects I want to do have the best overall kits in 1/48 and the size of most 1/32 scale jets will leave a lot less room for the rest of the WW2 stuff I want to do in that scale. So, what's a guy to do? For now, I'm sticking with WW2 in 1/32, but it still weighs heavy on my mind! :frantic:

Thanks for the encouragement and compliments, everyone!

John

I built this one about a year ago and I was in the final finishing stages when I left it set a little to close to a swing arm lamp to speed up drying of the finish. I came back later to find this su-2-b21.jpg

Had it just been the wing I might have considered it salvageable but it deformed the fuselage side as well. Over all I liked the kit and for the most part it went together well. I have another kit and may try to salvage the interior to use on the new one. Looking forward to what you do with it.

Nice John!   I give you a lot of credit...............commission builds can be really tough...............its a balance of wanting to make a bit of money with the hobby we are passionate about, and the fact that the subject we are doing may, or may NOT be something we are passionate about..............or sometimes even like at all.    

I have been lucky with mine, that I have not had to do too many that were out of my "likeability" zone. 

Looking forward to some progress as always! 

Nice John!   I give you a lot of credit...............commission builds can be really tough...............its a balance of wanting to make a bit of money with the hobby we are passionate about, and the fact that the subject we are doing may, or may NOT be something we are passionate about..............or sometimes even like at all.    

I have been lucky with mine, that I have not had to do too many that were out of my "likeability" zone. 

Looking forward to some progress as always! 

Brian,

Like I say, I'm fortunate to have a relationship with my friend where we both understand the other's thought process. I know he's a modeller himself and he has other people building for him, as well and probably has them do some of the subjects that are out of my area of interest. But, I've built quite a few yellow wing and WW2 era kits for him, which is all pretty much in my comfort zone, even if the individual subject is not on my favorites list. That's one of the key factors in doing commission work, in my opinion; understanding each others abilities and expectations. I had one customer, in the past, that was not only anal retentive about the smallest detail, but would complain about things on a build according to what he thought it should look like, in his mind, even if it was in complete contradiction to reality. That's all fine and dandy if you explain to me, up front, that this is how you want it. But, to come up this stuff, out of thin air, AFTER the model has been finished, photographed (and approved of), then shipped across an ocean. Well, I can't work like that and I won't, any longer. Believe it or not, my favorite and best customers to work with have been fellow modellers. There's probably several good reasons for that.

John, your post reminded me that I never posted my build log, as I used most of the same AM that you did I went ahead and posted it on my site.

http://www.olddogsplanes.com/su-2.html

The kit fit quite well and I do plan on doing another one.

OD,

THANK YOU for posting that. This will give me a guide to follow, to make sure I'm doing it right! Actually, I'm extremely thankful that you included the bit about the clear parts, their flexibility and compatibility (or lack thereof) with Future. Great information to know and something I'll be sure to watch out for.

Thanks again!

John